Rear license plate bolt replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Wiyosaya, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius, and I have had one of my rear license plate bolts snap off. So, I need to replace it.

I looked at a youtube video that shows how to take off the rear cover which does not seem that hard, and from what I can tell in the video, it looks like the license plate bolts are accessible from the inside after the cover is open.

Can anyone confirm this? I would hate to go through all that work and not be able to get at the bolts. As far as I can tell, it will be easiest for me to get inside like this rather than drill from the rear. Even if I did need to drill from the rear, it seems like it would be easiest to have access from both sides.

Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just trying to picture what's broken. Originally there was a hole in the hatch lid, and on the inside a tack-welded nut. You put on the license plate, then pass a machine screw through it's mounting hole, the hatch lid hole, and screw it into the tack-welded nut.

Assuming it's like that: what's broken: did the tack-welded nut break loose, or the machine screw's head snapped off?

3. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is the machine screw head that is snapped off.

Mendel Leisk likes this.