1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear license plate screws broken

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by WHCSC, Jul 28, 2022.

1. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a way to access the back side of the license plate screws through the inside of the trunk lid? My daughter just snapped them both off and she’s in Indy so I can’t look at it.

2. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One

3. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have taken broken screws using a smaller diameter drill bit without damaging the threads.

Check this link out!

WHCSC likes this.
  4. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, pop off the clips holding the carpet to the back of the truck and pull the carpet up. I had to drill out the old license plate screws and replaced them with stainless steel bolts and nuts.

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm. Not sure about that. But, will say that one of the cars I just bought had a frozen license plate screw. Those are fine thread??? and lots of them, for a license plate screw. None of my Phillips would turn it, even using a ratchet drive - just reamed them out and I ended up using a pair of vice grips to get it turning.

Start spraying penetrating oil on it. Maybe with the trunk lip up so gravity will help. Bolts are harder to get out if they bottomed out, then broke off. I don't know how deep those holes are, but hopefully it's just rusty and not bottomed. Get a drill and extractor set at the auto parts store.

WHCSC likes this.
  6. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This is preventative maintenance that's easy to miss. Remove all 4 screws, grease them thoroughly, and snug them down gently with washers on both sides of the plate. It'll save you a huge headache later.

StevenM, WHCSC and Mendel Leisk like this.