1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear passenger door interior handle opens the door, but does not "pop" the door open

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SRQ, Mar 5, 2019.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the thread title states, my rear passenger door interior handle opens the door, but does not "pop" the door open as effectively as the other doors, if that makes sense. This leads passengers to think that the door handle doesn't work, and them sitting there until the bump the door and realize that it actually is open and then can get out. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to fix this? I don't even know the technical term for the door "pop" concept.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I know what you mean. If the hinges aren't dragging, it could be that the latch mechanism needs lubrication. It might be a little sticky. Also, I think the rubber gaskets around the door give a little help in starting to open the doors. Are they crushed flat? Or, perhaps there's something dragging somewhere. Look for wear around the door opening. Those are the only things I can think of to look at.

3. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hinges are fine; but I'll take a look at all of your mentioned items and I'll report back after some WD-40 action and inspection. Thank you for the suggestions. The door has been doing this since I got the car when it had ~30k miles on it (200k on it now).

4. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Weak or broken spring in the door latch mechanism. With the door open close the latch fully, then pull the handle you should hear it pop.

Skibob and jerrymildred like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are the rubber stops (mentioned by @GerryM ) the kind that you can screw in/out, adjust the pressure?

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This... Probably a defect from when the car was new.