1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear quarter view

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by StevenLeePriusOwner, Aug 2, 2016.

1. StevenLeePriusOwner

StevenLeePriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a note about my 2015 Prius, I have had a few close calls in traffic, most recently a VERY close call with a bicyclist, all happening from my right rear quarter. I think it's a design issue. The headrests, that oddly placed rear spoiler bar, tinted windows and small quarter windows with large side panels and the smallish side mirrors combine to make that back glance checking for traffic difficult. At least for me. I can't seem to get a good view for that safety check.

Believe it or not, I think part of the problem is the small size of the auto. All of the distracting elements I listed above are crowded together, very close to me. It seems to take my eyes just a millisecond longer to see past that stuff to focus outside the car. I'm just over 60 so that might be why, but I didn't have this problem with the car the Prius replaced just last September.

I've given this almost a year to get used to but tonight I almost hit a bicyclist. I mean it was close, I'm a little rattled now but this is just the latest occurrence of a situation I am finding myself in, not seeing something just outside the rear right, more often than any other car I've ever driven.

I've tried all kinds of mirror positions to no apparent avail. And in this case, the cyclist was being stupid, riding on the sidewalk at night wearing all black, mirror position wouldn't have helped at all. Although I glanced on my turn as always, I just didn't see him.

Now I'm really thinking of selling the car. The mileage—which is as advertised—just isn't worth the higher chance of accident. I have this Prius because someone ran a stop sign while texting and totaled my Ford Escape, a car I really liked. Other than that, I have never, in 45 years, driving in crazy Socal, been in an accident, knock on wood. I don't want to start now.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a 2016 Prius Gen4 (you've posted it in the 2016 Forum), but you mention both 2015 and in your profile is a 2012 Prius c? I haven't noticed the 3/4 side view particularly troublesome in my 2016, better than my last car - though, rear view from cars has steadily become worse over ... the 45 yrs that I've been driving.

3. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh dear. Like Alan says, rear visibility seems to be poor for many modern vehicles compared to cars from a decade ago. Sleek styling seems to be a higher priority. Having said that, I drive in the centre of London frequently, where there are cyclists speeding along in all directions. It can be a burden at times, even in slow moving traffic, as so many try to squeeze into gaps between you and the other vehicles on the road.

I was surprised with the Prius that the Blind Spot Mirror warning seemed to be rather effective at giving me a heads up that a cyclist or two is coming either side of the vehicle from behind. I assumed it would just be looking at cars/trucks etc. My parking sensors all round seem to be rather sensitive too, beeping when anyone comes within 12 inches of my car.

I do miss my older 2003 model car which the Prius replaced. That definitely had more traditional styling, but far better rear visibility than my Prius.

KimPrius3 and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the bicycle was on the sidewalk, and you almost hit him?

that being asked, most here will agree the rear vision isn't as good as some other cars. you can remove the rear headrests, and aftermarket tinting, but after that, it's an all or nothing, take it or leave it situation.
    at 61, i find my cognitive abilities reduced as well, and it is bothersome.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  5. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    if not used at all, just flip down the rear seats.... makes that lower rear window below the spoiler look really large and useful.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's what I do!

7. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius has the Blind Spot Monitoring system and I believe it would turn on if a bicyclist were there, though not for sure. In ALL of my previous cars I had a spot mirror and never missed seeing anything. Please try the spot mirrors, they work very well. They are inexpensive and I installed them on the top right (outside edge) on each of my side mirrors. You could have someone move them around until you found the best spot for you and then attach. Also, my headrests in the back fold down and I keep them that way unless I have a backseat passenger. They come completely off if I wanted to take them off. Perhaps you could take yours off. Hope you find this useful.

raspy and Coast Cruiser like this.
  8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how tall you are - my brother-in-law took mine for a run 2 days ago (he ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT - "Just my type of car"), but he's much taller than me and put the seat down low - I found my rear vision wasn't as good after that, I stopped and put the seat back up as high as it goes - much better. I've also flipped the back seats down, as they're almost never used - a slight improvement as the middle headrest isn't within line of sight any more.

9. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars have gotten safer with roll over tests and styling heavily affects rear and forward visibility. The aggressive styling of the Prius is especially detrimental to visibility (not to mention the signature, annoying two rear windows). It's just something that cars have evolved with over recent years.

raspy and Coast Cruiser like this.
  10. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with having spot mirrors for side vision/blind spot checking. I can't drive without them. I installed the biggest ones I could find (4"?) the first day I got my car.

My rearward visibility seems to be ok. The larger upper window is adequate. (I leave a heat shield in the small lower "slit" window, because headlights bothered me.)

raspy likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't the automatic interior mirror catch their headlights?

12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My basic edition Three model doesn't have that fancy feature. I even have to reach up, and turn on the rain wipers all by myself! Can you imagine having to do all that work?! :ROFLMAO:

I hope the tailgater's headlights are reflecting off my silver heat shield, and bothering them. As well as the drivers that pull up so close behind me at a red light.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope your salary is higher to take into account all that work ...

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Don't you have th
    The blind spot monitoring system even works with pedestrians too (not that I drive so slow that pedestrians overtake me :) )

raspy, 'LectroFuel and alanclarkeau like this.