1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear right power window switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by marrat, Aug 16, 2015.

1. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I've bought a 2010 Prius recently, it seems I overlooked something when test driving. I bought it for a very good price from a private seller, so no warranty. When I test drove I tried all the windows from the driver's side, everything worked. My wife was sitting next to me, that switch also worked. We both seem to have forgotten to check the switches in the back :( Today my father, sitting in the back, realized the power switch on the rear right door isn't working, The window and motor are fine, I can open and close the window from the driver's side, but the switch on the rear door itself doesn't work.
    If this was any other (cheap) car, I'd just take off the door panel and check the switch. Since this is an expensive car, I thought it would be smarter to ask here first.
    Could there be a software or fuse issue? Is there an easy way to check the switch without taking the complete door panel off? Is taking the door panel off a smart idea (can anything be broken)?

Great car btw, very strange to drive. Feels like I'm driving a space ship :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you check the other side? there might be a child safety switch in the door jamb.

3. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The other side (left) works. I only saw a child safety switch for the door itself (can't open door from inside), not the window. I'll check later to see if there's some safety mechanism for the window. I don't think it's that tough, since I can lock the back window switches from the driver's side. Why would there be another option on the door itself?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your probably right. it wouldn't be a fuse, and is likely the switch itself. unfortunately, some have found a wire disconnected inside the door. if the switch is bad, you should be able to find a salvage one cheap.

5. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Can I get to it without taking off the door panel?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea if it can be pried out from above. any threads here?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If nobody here steps up with the exact answers to all your questions, don't forget that your service manual at techinfo.toyota.com will have them. You'll be able to see exactly what circuits and fuses are in play for that window, what to test in what order to find out why it doesn't work, and how the switch (and door panel, if need be) are properly removed without breaking.

-Chap

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can pry up the "door assist grip cover", then the rear power window regulator switch assembly with the surrounding trim panel can be pried up. Maybe you'll find a loose wiring harness connector. If not, use an ohmmeter to measure resistance across the switch - techinfo provides detailed information about how to do that check.

9. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for the replies, it was actually pretty easy to get it off. I didn't know the trim panel was so easy to pull up, after that it's pretty easy to get the switch panel off. There was a small burn in the cable, cutting that part out and fixing the cable was the trick. It works as normal now, the switch itself was fine.

I guess the Prius is just like a normal car :)

CR94 and bisco like this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice work! Did you see any clues about why the cable originally burned?

-Chap

11. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I don't really know what the cause was, it seemed to be in a random place.

12. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You found it. Nice job.