1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Running Light Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Razz, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Razz

Razz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This Friday my fiance was driving behind my 2007 Prius and we realized that one of the running lights has burned out. The specific light is is the "clear" colored light above the bottom red light: https://goo.gl/images/i7bpMb. Based on my reading, it sounds like you need to replace the entire tail light. Is that true? If so, are there any recommendations for a specific tail light replacement? I'm planning on replacing it myself. There are a few how-to videos on YouTube that make the process look fairly straightforward. Let me know if that's not the case.

Any information or advice would greatly appreciated!

2. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine (German 2008 model) looks a bit different.
    But in the trunk should be a small "door" opposite the light. Remove one and you should see wires and the back of the bulb sockets (maybe better use a flashlight).
    If you rotate them a bit and pull them then you can remove them (limited by the wire).* Now you can pull the bulb out of the socket.
    Maybe the print at the bulb will help you enough to buy a replacement.
    (Better not touch the glass of the new one. The grease of the skin in combination with heat may reduce the lifetime. More important for headlights but who knows...)

* Removing the socket with the lights switched on spent new life to my dead bulb once. So maybe some movement of the socket or the wire Sam help in case of some bad contact.