Rear seat platform - pictures

Discussion in 'Living Life in a Prius' started by Vman455, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Vman455

Vman455 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of my projects this week was to replace the rear seat with a platform. I did this for three reasons:
    1. Increased storage space: the seat takes up a lot of volume that is wasted since I never have occupants back there. With it gone, I now have a storage space 40" x 12" x 18".
    2. Improved usefulness for camping: the seats don't fold down flat, and since they're foam they "give" when I get in and out of the car, roll over at night, etc. The platform is rigid and sturdy and close to level (it angles up ~1* in line with the trunk floor). Bonus: this gives me a couple inches more headroom too.
    3. Reduced weight: the seat, seat belts, and braces weigh just over 60 lbs. I made the platform from approximately 33 feet of 1" x 2" poplar (strong and light; in a former life as an organ builder this was the wood of choice for frames) and 12 square feet of 1/4" Baltic birch ply, for a total weight somewhere around 25 lbs.

Next step is to carpet it with some lightweight trunk carpet or similar. It will take my whole weight, and is easy to disassemble since everything is fastened with wood screws. I left the sides open for cargo access rather than bother with a door; the car doors function as the access doors.

[​IMG]
    (There's a frame with lengthwise slats that goes over this)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

strawbrad, SFO, TGrracie and 3 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you sir, are immensely talented. (y)

3. Vman455

Vman455 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you! I try, and sometimes things work. I´m pleased with how this turned out.

Prius Rising likes this.
  4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Excellent!
    How do you plan on accessing the storage space? Especially with stuff on top when camping?

I camp alone so I don't need the front passenger's seat. If you take the headrest off, it can be reclined to the point where it is level with the rear platform. I set a drawer unit in the passenger's seat (which opens out the door) and used that as a base.

I extended the plywood from the rear to on top of the drawer unit, so the flat plywood is from the glove box (leaving enough room to open) to the rear hatch. Plenty of room to stretch out when sleeping!

Prius Rising likes this.
  5. Vman455

Vman455 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sides are open, so I can put stuff in and take it out through there by opening either rear door. I'm not planning on putting too much in there, just sleeping bag, pillow, maybe a backpack.

I carpeted it today with gray felt. Two layers on top for a little extra padding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prius Rising, strawbrad and SFO like this.
  6. Vman455

Vman455 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took the platform for its first camping spin this week:

[​IMG]