1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear seat removal/wiring subwoofer install help please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Prizzle, May 22, 2006.

1. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

Hi-

I am now installing the Kenwood mini-woofer.

Can someone provide me with tips to removing rear seat as I want to snake the controller wire into the center console, unless there is a better way to accomplish this.

Also, I'd rather not mess with attaching the switching wire to the ACC wire under dash after having made a mess and near disaster cutting a wire at the computer installing EV mod. So, as long as I am inside the center console, can I hook up the (blue) Kenwood on/off wire to the power outlet wiring to accomplish the same thing? If so, do I splice into the live or ground wire and how do I identify which is which?

I looked through archives and did not find an answer.

I could pay for an install, but so much more fun thrashing through it on my own (with Priuschat help of course).

Sure appreciate the help!

Keith

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Are you talking about the bottom part of the rear seat? If so, it's held in by two clips. You can find them if you sit in the seat and put your hand between your legs. You pull up on them (after getting off the seat, of course).

3. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 22 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]259447[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, so the seat just pops off those clips? Nothing holding it in the back? I can see a bracket of some sort just behind and below the seat and wondered if somehow that needed to be loosened?

K

4. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Take a look at the installation instructions for the XM radio. Scroll down to pages 43-45 (the pages themselves say 32-34). There are pictures of the rear seat removal. I used those to remove the rear seat when I was installing the seat covers.

If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.laaudiofile.com/bta6100.html, scroll down about 1/2 way and click on the link in the paragraph titled Just What We Needed. It should send you to the same site as above.

5. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 23 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]259559[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the links. Unfortunately they are both dead links, at least for me. Nuts.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    What if you route wires along the side of the car, along the bottom of the door sill? Those panels are easy to lift up and remove, as is tucking the wires alongside the rear seat (going UNDER the hinges of the fold-down seatbacks!) The center console itself comes out with a couple of screws. Not sure where, but I've read that it's easy enough.

Then pull up carpeting in the front floor area to the center console "hole". Make your connections to the power outlet wire. You want the live (12 V) wire to trigger the Kenwood amp. This is the wire that goes 12 V when the car is on, and goes to 0 V when car is off. Get a multi-meter to test, as I don't know colors of the particular wires!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Curt.

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ May 23 2006, 04:35 AM) [snapback]259627[/snapback]</div>
    Too bad. Basically the seat is held in with two pins. By pulling up that will move the pins out of the holes in the car body. Then pull the seat forward. To install, do the reverse.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 23 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]259712[/snapback]</div>
    I will try this. I felt where it seemed to connect at the front of the seat, just a little timid about giving it a good yank. Now I will. Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ May 23 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]259714[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. I had found this post earlier and actually used many of the ideas described. The two things they don'd describe are, naturally, the two things I am trying to figure out. But otherwise, it really helped professionalize my amateur install. Bringing me back to it actually pointed out a couple of tips for things I haven't done yet, like replacing the holding ties with tape for easier pull-through.

Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 23 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]259662[/snapback]</div>
    Very helpful. I'll give a look at the carpet up front, maybe an easier solutions. I have a multi-meter somewhere around-time to use it!

Thanks!