1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear seat space in new prius prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by kojack, May 18, 2023.

1. kojack

kojack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I am very interested in the prius prime for it's efficiency and long ev range. One issue I have is that my son, who is 16 and 6'1 will not have enough room in the back seat. He has autism and will be with us all the time. Anyone who is 6ft or over sit in the back and give me their thoughts on what is the back seat headroom and leg room like? I am 5'7 and the seat will be set accordingly ha ha.

2. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On a not related note…got an uber ride the other day in a Prius V. Honestly did not know that was a trim level back in the day, thinking last sold in USA back in 2017. Was indeed roomly.

Used one with something like 160k miles is going for like 13k. No ATP sadly as I have read the ones with stock headlight (not led) are vary bad lighting up the road at night.

Seems it was the biggest prius model sold in USA and actually like the looks of it. Could not hold a candle to the new gen5 model, well save for the two headlight candles :)

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    https://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/57056/page-2
    Post #38
    Wayne, in the photo is over 6ft; I think taller than your son.

The Prius thread there has photos of the hatch measurements.
    The Prius Alpha/+/v was a wagon version of the gen3. Had three seat rows in other markets.

I use v instead of V, because Toyota used numbers for Prius trims at the time, and many used Roman numerals for them. It can be written there was a Prius v V. Despite how it looked in the cars' emblems, Toyota also used the lower case letter for v and c in press releases.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know this is "irrelevant", but, you've got a 2021.

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    At 6' 1", it will probably be bad unless your son has longer legs. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and my head was brushing the roof when I sat up straight(bald/shaved head). I've heard of 6' to 6' 2" people with longer legs and shorter torsos be barely okay. Just a wild nice person guess, but if your son's inseam is a 35" or above, he'll probably be fine, 34" would be iffy, anything less would likely not work.

Leg room seems to be okay unless you have long legged people in both seats front and back. Short/short, short/long, and long/short all work, only long/long will probably be bad. At 5' 7" in the front, you'd probably be fine on that count.

But there's no substitute for just finding a Prius at a dealership and sitting in it for 5-10 minutes. While the back seats are very slightly different between the regular Prius and the Prime, it's not enough to affect the seating height.

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you might need to test the car with your son to see how comfortable he is. I took a ride in the back seat of a 2023 Prime but I’m short. I did notice that the seats were not as comfortable as the 2020/2022 Prius. A bit stiff and slanted back more than I would like but I won’t be driving people in the back seat. I noticed the man next to me was actually slouching in the seat due to the angle. One of the reviewers on YouTube mentioned the slant as well.

prius16 likes this.
  7. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Any chance that he can sit in the front and a shorter passenger sit in the back? I'm the tallest in my family and second tallest in the in laws and thus get the front passenger seat when either my father or father in law are driving.