1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear seat won't pull up on right side.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Higgins909, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm trying to check my hybrid fan and I was only able to get the left side (driver side) of the seat to pop up. The right side kinda popped, but it didn't. I'm trying to pull on it and it's making a horrible ripping sound. I tried a flathead to pry it but it's trying to take the plastic with it no matter what. What can I do, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Try the YouTube method

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those plastic inserts don't seem to be 100% reliable, they're supposed to produce just a nice snap fit retention, but they can grab on more determinedly than that. I did have to use extra persuasion to pull mine up the first time, and it did pull up and mangle the plastic insert on that side.

I don't remember now whether I just bought a replacement insert for that side, or found a way to unmangle the mangled one and reuse it.

4. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    C'mon, the suspense is killing us!

5. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't need to remove the seat to get to the fan....

6. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very late updating this... Both of the white plastic things are broken and I'm not sure how secure the seat is. I did my best to reuse them. Luckily any of the people that would even remotely ride back there are too tall to fit. I think it had to be removed to get to one of the vent's plastic pin things. Which the vent has to be removed to get to other things and such. There was one clip holding a wire to the fan, if I remember right and it was under the interior by the wheel well. That clip has now seen better days. There ended up being 0 reason for me to have done this task. It was fairly clean, but since I had it out I tried to clean it up as best as I could. Ended up getting some codes/lights and just reset them with the OBD-2 reader that I had access to.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Late in the day, but anyway: there's really no need to remove that seat. There's one bolt that needs removal, just below the fan inlet grill. You can reach it by pushing apart the back seat and back and reaching through with a 12 mm socket on an extension.

Did you disconnect the fan? And or the hybrid battery disconnect switch? That might have something to do with the codes. Neither of those actions are necessary btw. The fan can be cleaned without complete removal, and you're not in electrical danger, just accessing the fan.