1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear seatbelt warning light

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by skierrob, Jun 13, 2019.

1. skierrob

skierrob Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have no passengers or cargo in my rear seats in my 2019 Prius Prime Advanced. The first time I turn on the car when I get to it, all the warning lights including the rear seatbelt warning light illuminate. All the other lights *except* the rear seatbelt warning light turn off after about ten seconds. The rear seatbelt warning light will not turn off until after about 45 seconds. No warning chimes are sounded, though. Once the light is off, it stays off as it should.

If I turn off the car, wait about 30 seconds and restart the vehicle, the rear seatbelt light does not illuminate at all even when all the other warning lights illuminate.

But if I turn off the car and wait an hour or so and then restart the car, the warning light will again illuminate on engine start and remain illuminated for about 45 seconds.

Can anyone replicate this behavior? I'm having difficulty getting my dealer's service department to understand / find a problem.

2. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    mine also has problems with the rear seatbelt sensors. Mine manifests as one or more rear seats give the alert when empty. Or both. Or I'll have something in the back seat and the alert will go off randomly. I turned off (pretty much all) the chimes in my prime. I've been waiting for a new sensor for literally 10 months.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Repair Manual (more info), Toyota writes, “The rear seat belt warning light on the combination meter assembly illuminates or turns off in accordance with the rear door state, vehicle speed and rear seat belt state.” It doesn’t use weight sensors as the occupant classification system for the front passenger seat does; instead, it’s triggered by a rear door having been opened and the associated seat belt not having been fastened.

If this doesn’t explain the behavior you’ve noticed, you could ask the dealer to use the diagnostic procedure in the Repair Manual under Vehicle Interior: Seat Belt: Seat Belt Warning System: Rear Seat Belt Warning Light Malfunction, with checks for the rear door courtesy light switches, rear seat belt buckle switches, and associated wiring harnesses and connectors.

Trollbait and FuelMiser like this.