1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Shock Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Speedy Fennec, May 24, 2021.

1. Speedy Fennec

Speedy Fennec New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

First time poster here. Not the most mechanically inclined, so I'm hoping you all can give me some good insight.

In January I was in an accident that damaged my front end. Long story short a used strut was put in my front passenger side that has given me a whole host of issues. I recently put new KYB struts on the front as well as a new lower control arm on the passenger side because I was experiencing uneven ride height and vibrations in the steering wheel.

The car rides much better but it feels as if the height of the used replacement strut has also compressed my back left shock resulting in uneven ride height in the back. Currently the steering wheel is off center (to the left which is the shock that I suspect is bad) and feels unstable cornering and at high speed. Do you think just replacing the rear shocks will eliminate this issue? I'm thinking about trying to do the coils too but I can't even find a proper part number nor am I sure that they even need to be replaced. All advice is appreciated, I just want my car to drive as it did pre accident!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what you need is a wheel alignment. And while you're at it, make sure the entire suspension is checked by a proper professional mechanic.

wheezyglider likes this.
  3. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you DIY the rear shocks maybe clean the hybrid battery cooling fan since you'll have most of the panels removed anyway. The rear springs won't likely need to be replaced IMHO. But I really think JC is right - get a pro to look things over.

Speedy Fennec likes this.
  4. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Struts should always be replaced in pairs/sets. I can’t tell from your post but make sure you have two new strut assemblies for the front. Make sure the spring age is the same also (either both original or both new).

Changing struts on their own shouldn’t affect wheel alignment to that degree. I’d suspect more damage in the front end of the car. A good alignment shop should be able to tell you that from an inspection standpoint. If the shop you brought it to only replaced the one strut don’t go back there again and find a better shop to work with.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your frame is definitely out of alignment. All is takes is a minor change (even one inch or less) in the frame and the result can be the issues you describe. There are shops that specialize in putting bent frames back to original alignment. Then, you can align the tires.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.