1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mass_cheapo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. mass_cheapo

mass_cheapo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am going to follow the 2005 rear door replacement guide. Thing is, I cannot find Infinity Kappa 62.7i anymore, will Infinity Kappa 62.9i suffice? Can someone also tell me how much depth I have in the rear speaker cavity?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    about 3.5" in the rear. if you have JBL, you need to find 3 ohm woofers though. if not, parts express.com has Dayton Audio 7" 4 ohm woofers that fit good and hit hard. I had em in my '04 base model and they were almost like having a sub.

3. mass_cheapo

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    are these Dayton's very are heavy on the low-end? I'm not a fan of that artificial "boomy" sound.

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you mean like a bandpass box like yo boys use, no. I did spray insulation paint inside the door and put duct insulation (too cheap to buy dynamat) in place of the plastic vapor barrier. they sounded great to me, but I also replaced the crap oe head unit with a kenwood. I listen to rock and jazz mostly, not soft pop which some folks erroneously call rock, and the bass notes sounded like a home stereo. the Dayton woofers are home stereo speakers-- you could find them in some brands of 2-way bookshelf speakers.

5. mass_cheapo

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "if you mean like a bandpass box like yo boys use, no"

thanks. I have no idea what that means, but I know you mean. can you please shoot me the model number you put in, I could only find
    Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yes. that's what I used.

a bandpass box is designed to reproduce a relatively narrow band of bass frequencies and will have a resonant frequency in that band. so it will produce a couple of bass notes very strongly, but notes outside its range will be weaker sounding, and, the box will want to vibrate at its resonant frequency so that it will try to push the notes toward that frequency so you get a kind of monotone bass drone out of it. they sound terrible, but idiot kids seem to like it, I guess mostly for the annoyance factor. it certainly doesn't sound good.

7. mass_cheapo

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks, that's what I thought. I'm certainly no audiophile, but I do have a few decent 60's-70's vintage equipment indoors. In the prius, I installed one of those aftermarket add-on units for Ipod/3.5 cable into the stock head unit. The stock front speakers seem ok, but the rear are blown. I'll start with the rear and see where I stand. I only drive 25mi each way to work, so its not a big need.

8. mass_cheapo

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I forgot to ask, with the Daytons, do I need any special spacers or adapters to make them fit?

9. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    no spacers, but you'll have to drill a few holes. I bought those cause they were the biggest woofer I could get to fit the speaker holes in the rear doors without cutting.