1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Speed Sensor/Wheel Bearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Phoenix, Nov 1, 2018.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I got my Prius diagnosed after all my brake warning lights went on and stayed on. (The red BRAKE, the yellow !, the ABS, and VCS). After some research here I was thinking it was a speed sensor. I dont have the capability or equipment to test it myself, so I took it to a shop. They said it was the rear speed sensor and that is part of the wheel bearing. So they quoted me 316.50 plus tax to install a new one. I did see the rear speed sensor by itself for sale on Rock Auto, and did see them as part of the rear wheel bearing. Is it possible just to do the speed senor or for the price and labor is it just "better" to replace the bearing. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many miles on her?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think (but am not really sure) that the speed sensor is integrated with the wheel bearing, it's not possible to replace just the sensor. Good question: would love to be proved wrong.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Bisco, current mileage is 295,789

Mendel, from all the pics, I've seen of the wheel bearings it does look like its integrated into the part but rock auto does have one listing of the part separate.

Raytheeagle, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Based on the parts diagram, it looks like the same labor to replace the hub or ABS sensor. $231.18 - $151.57 = $79.61 price difference/savings. Since you will be paying for labor, I would just replace the whole rear hub b/c it includes the ABS sensor. Even if you were to DIY, I would probably be inclined to replace the hub; don't want to be back here, over $80 price difference, for a bearing failure now.
    $231.18, right rear hub and bearing, includes ABS sensor
    $151.57, right rear ABS sensor ONLY
    $34.42, ABS sensor wire, included just in case​

I would demand OEM only for this part; it lasted 10years. Aftermarket quality is all over the place, and usu not for the better.

#5 exstudent, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agree with above. At what mileage was the bearing last changed?

7. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I bought my Prius used with 189,000 miles on it and no record of any work done up to that point. I am looking at after market parts just because of cost, and the fact I won't really need it to last another 10 years. Thank you for all the feedback thus far.

bisco likes this.
  8. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I replaced the rear wheel bearing with a $57 Centric part. It was very hard to remove the old one. Now after the new one had been install, all my lights are still on. The red brake light the yellow ! in the circle, the ABS, and the VCS. Is there any way to turn these lights off without having techstream? Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated thank you.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12v neg for an hour. if no go, try any obd2 scanner, auto parts might do it free

10. Fartsalot

Fartsalot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I watched on u tube a vid replacing the rear bearing and the hub and it is all in one unit and it took 4 bolts and about 15 minutes to do the job,,,on u tube, The tic in the vid did not even remove the brake pads or anything,,,looked easy as heck.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you can clear skid control ECU DTC by putting a jumper wire between pins 4 and 13 of the OBD-II socket, do a search for the specific process on this website.

12. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Patrick Wong: That's what I have been coming up with looking through this site. Although they say it clears the history as well. But if I correctly fixed the problem turning off the lights shouldn't be a problem. If I didn't fix the problem correctly they will go on again, so it's a win win scenario correct? So is this a better course of action than going to a shop to have them turned off? Thank you for any further comments.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that it makes sense to clear the existing fault codes if you can. They will come back soon enough if a fault remains.

However you'll need a way to retrieve the skid control fault codes. Mini VCI is the best method. (Some of the codes can be retrieved if you search how to retrieve two-digit blink codes, however I think that some of the codes are not documented in the repair manual.)

14. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When I originally got it diagnosed I took it to a shop they charged me 100 dollars. I have been thinking about getting Tech stream so I can do a lot more diagnosis on my own. I think that would be a good investment

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have not reset the lights and the codes yet. As a side note I'm just curious, do the lights being on affect MPG? even with it being colder here in Wisconsin sure seems to be dropping significantly with the lights on.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, but without hard data, your brain can play funny tricks

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if there actually remains a problem, then your mpg may be adversely affected. For example suppose a rear brake shoe is dragging.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just had my rear brakes done a month ago and I didn't notice anything till about 2 weeks ago, so I with bisco and my mind playing tricks on me. I am all sorts of frustrated now, and I think I will rest easy with a version of Tech Stream. When I looked on Amazon I was a bit overwhelmed. Does anyone have and recommendations on which one to buy?

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't but there are some threads here.

20. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I now have an update and I need some more help. I did the repair myself with a part purchased from Rock Auto and after the repair was finished and everything was connected after I drove it the light still stayed on. I was debating jumping pin 4 and 13 to clear the codes. recently I stopped an O'Reilly Auto Parts store and they have a scanner that could check ABS codes and the same message came up that it was the rear left speed sensor. This person continued to say that's once the part is replaced that the codes clear automatically and that I installed a defective part. Now I dont know who or what to believe. So here I am posting this question to Prius Chat to try to get some real answers. Thank you.

Mendel Leisk likes this.