1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear spoiler dull/faded

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johnrdl, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Johnrdl

Johnrdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PICT0425.JPG
    So I guess this is called the spoiler and on my 2010 Prius has become dull/faded. I don't know what remedy to do to address this issue. The edges are still glossy-like but I don't know what causes this dullness. I thought maybe it is similar to the headlights where you can use toothpaste or wax to return the shininess, but it doesn't work for this.

I also have so other cosmetic issues with my 2010 Prius, in that in January 2021 I noticed some snowflake patterns/cracking in the paint on the right and left corners of the roof just above the driver and passenger side, which I am told it is due to the clear coat. Since it was a small area at the time and not worth the cost to address such a small area, I decided to leave it alone. Unfortunately, I can tell that the area got bigger/more noticeable as well as is reaching everywhere like the back of the roof towards the antenna as well as on several doors just below the window. Clearly it looks like it is going to be a more expensive job as probably the whole vehicle should get painted/new clear coat.

I live in Southern California and unfortunately my car has been parked outside, so I am assuming that the exposure to the elements contributed to these issues. Furthermore, I feel that as a Prius owner, there is this need to be environmentally conscious so I don't wash my car as often as I should, especially since California has been in a drought over the past 12 years. In addition, I am that weird/crazy person who is out putting some soap/washing the car in the rain, since the rain does all that rinsing/removing dirt and that soapy water. Anyway, I wish that more people would do that when it rains or if Toyota could put that commercial back on the air again especially with California's drought.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    washing in the rain, what a great idea. But won't you be soaked when done?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can easily remove the wing and have a paint shop re-paint it. Or you can have a custom car shop wrap it in vinyl with a custom design of your choosing!

ukulelegeek likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Of course you’ll get soaked, you’re taking a shower also

ukulelegeek likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I guess you can shower and wash the car at the same time, talk about some serious water conservation here!

Grit and ukulelegeek like this.
  6. Dylan Morris

Dylan Morris New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    IV
    Do you think Vinyl wraps are worts spending money ?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I could never afford having a car wrapped... But it's worth the cost of the materials to do just the wing and DIY it. Alternatively you could spray with plasti-dip, so you can peel it off if it goes bad.

ukulelegeek and Foxglove like this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Or buy one on ebay or at the salvage yard that is still in good shape

ukulelegeek likes this.
  9. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is faded and dull too. Here's an idea....
    One day, another white Gen III pulled up next to mine. They had painted the spoiler to match the car, like a Gen II. It looked great!