1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Spoiler Rattling/Loose

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ken S, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The rear spoiler on my 2005 has always had a bit of "flex" to it and I've always been careful not to use it to open or close the hatch. Unfortunately, I can't be sure that others not do that as it really is the place someone would think to grab to close the hatch.

Anyway, the other day I noticed that the spoiler had picked up a nasty rattle whenever the hatch was closed. Looking from the outside in I saw that there appeared to be two plastic fasteners (one on each end) that held the spoiler in place. If I pressed down on one side the other side popped up and vice versa. I was able to get the spoiler back to where it originally was (loose but no real rattle).

The car has never been in an accident and the spoiler doesn't appear to be bent in anyway...it just seems as if the fasteners aren't holding it down as tightly as they should.

Is this the norm? Should I replace the fasteners and does anyone have instructions on how to do it?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have a rare problem Ken.:) H

4. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Happened to my '07 at about 50K miles. Spoiler must have been used as a rear hatch handle by someone, or I mistakenly let it bang against the underside of the stairs that protrude into the back of my garage.

In any case, yes the plastic "clips" were broken. They're more like long rivits that fasten to the hatch frame and 'clip' onto the spoiler on either end. The spoiler was rattling so badly that is coughed up a few bolts as well, they ended up inside the hatch down near the latch on the bottom!

The dealership quoted me $400+ for 'bodywork' to reattach the spoiler. I laughed (literally) and then took it to my friendly neighborhood independent Toyota guy who asked for $60 bucks to replace the rivet/clips things. He'd never done the job before, but it was simple enough for him to figure it out, plus he's the best mechanic I've ever known.

Bottom line, it's not a complicated job and there's nothing seriously wrong. Just a couple of $2-buck fasteners that need to be replaced. Be sure to replace BOTH sides, even if only one side is broken there's no way to get the other side off without breaking it.

My spoiler has been snug and rattle free for over a year now.

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So, I finally decided to take a look at the thing and took the interior panels, rear wiper and rear wiper motor. This was all pretty easy. The interior panels just require a bit of patience and some quick, sharp tugs starting at the corners.

So, when I got the spoiler loose (took off the four bolts). I saw that the clips on either side were either missing or broken. I had purchased new rivit/clips, but it was close to impossible to get the old ones out. So, after looking at the thing for a bit I took a couple of pieces of noise reduction foam cut two rectangular pieces and put them over where the side clips went. Then re-bolted the spoiler back into place.

All the vibration is gone and the hatch sounds very solid when being closed. Yes, the spoiler is up a little at each edge...but it was that way before and unless you are looking for it specifically/comparing it to another Prius you would never notice.

Whole operation took about an hour and most of that was looking at the clip system and trying to figure out how to fix it. The foam is closed-cell and made for automotive environments so I don't think it'll fair poorly. I guess time will tell.

6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for posting your out-come:) H