1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear strut leaking oil. How soon should I replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by randallcreasey, Apr 6, 2017.

1. randallcreasey

randallcreasey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've searched the forum and I've read that leaking from the seal can happen but I wanted to post some pics to get your take on how soon I should replace the rear right strut. The Prius is a 2008 with about 150k. I'm due for a service in about 1000 miles, can I wait until then or should I go in now?

I've attached pictures of the rear right (leaking) and the rear left.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had this done, buying the part is fairly cheap online at camelback Toyota. I think the set cost me $110. Labor was $80

If you did this at the dealer, it'll be really expensive

You can wait, but your tires might start to wear unevenly. If your tires are new, you would want to take care of this asap

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. randallcreasey

randallcreasey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much! Yes I just called to see how much the dealership would charge and they said $515! $375 of that would be labor they said.

Great. Next service I need to replace the engine and inverter coolant too which they said is $250. Looks like my next service is going to be an expensive one.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you look very carefully at the US schedule, the inverter coolant change is delayed, to 150K miles or 180 months. See footnote 4 on page 51. It doesn't hurt to do them both together though.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your crazy having dealer replace struts. There just like any other car. Any tire place can do it, the rears incur a higher labor rate as you have to take the back of the car aprt to get to the mounting bolts for the rear struts,
    Hatch cover the hatch bin the side covers.
    I had a shop replace mine but I took the back aprt first. If not you may end up with a lot of greasy handprints all over the back interior of the car.

My dealer charges $140 an hour. Tire store half that. Just buy oem online.

JC91006 likes this.
  6. WhoDat!

WhoDat! New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JC, I'm in the Chino, CA. area. Could you possibly refer me to a Prius mechanic?