1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Strut spring broken ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mrkihn, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mrkihn

mrkihn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 75k miles on it . I installed a trailer hitch on it last week for doing some light weight hauling of things. I jacked the car up with a heavy duty jack that can lift one whole side of car up and put a jack stand on rear jacking notch I then jacked the other side car up and did same thing . I have done this many times before normally just for rotating tires . After installing hitch I lower the car slowly back down and than I sat down on the bumper to do the inside wiring. As I sat down I heard a big thunk. I got off the bumper and didn't notice to cause that noise so I proceeded to finish wiring and as I shut the hatch I heard another thunk. To make this story shorter , I looked at car and it looked like it was sitting lower in rear . Yesterday I jacked car back up to see what the trouble was and found the strut spring on the rear drivers side broken . Has any body every heard of this . Didn't hit any hard bumps to cause this and like I said earlier the car was lower down slowly and not just dropped down. Was there a recall for the struts or has anybody else heard of these springs breaking . Is there a better replacement for strut and spring assy. Local auto parts store don't even have a spring listed for replacement but they do carry the strut itself .

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. mrkihn

mrkihn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plan on it but locally can't find a spring only struts . Founds some online but want to make sure they are of better quality than OEM

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should be able to buy a spring by itself from Toyota dealers online. The rear is actually a shock, not a strut

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wherever you get it from, get 2 as you need to replace them in pairs to prevent car from being uneven

- Alex

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is closing-the-barn-door-after-the-cows-have-escaped but: is there a rear central jacking point on the 2nd gen Prius? Got to be less stress on the car, and quicker, to just raise the whole rear with central point, and put in the two jack stands at same time.

7. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, there is a center jack point. Located under the battery approximately.
    jack point.jpg

- Alex

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've never heard of it happening to a prius before, but sometimes coil springs just fail. I wouldn't be concerned that oem springs are poor quality, so buying a new set from the dealer isn't a bad idea. if you want something better, a few folks have installed adjustable coil spring kits on their cars. it would be cool to be able to set the height just the way you like it, but I'd just get a set from Toyota.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius