1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear suspension with it's rigid tension bar.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Former Member 68813, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I fixed a slow tire leak today and in the process I examined the rear suspension closely. I had one rear corner jacked up and could easily see the difference in position of both rear wheels compared to the frame. The difference was only in the range of 1 inch. Mind you one wheel was in the air, and the other was bearing the doubled weight.

I also examined the substantial torsion bar with it's C-shaped cross-section and closed edges. I don't see how any additional anti-sway bars could benefit this very stiff arrangement.

I know that members that installed rear anti-sway bars raved about performance increase. Did anyone do a blinded test on a different driver that was not aware of the upgrade?

This reminds me this old story on placebo effect in 2nd gen Prius (scroll to the bottom 3 paragraphs):

Prius plate

alekska likes this.
  2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you go into the Mods forum and search on "rear anti-sway bar", you should find at least one long thread about putting them on 2010's. I bought a Toyota one intended for a 2008 Scion xB which is apparently identical to the one in the Prius Plus package. There was discussion about just how much an additional sway bar in the rear would help, and it does seem to help though a double-blind test with two vehicles, one with and one without, might be interesting.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A lighter wallet can lower the total load on the vehicle and improve handling.

4. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the rare occassion when I take my wifes Gen 3 for work and she has to drive my Gen 2, which used to be hers 3 years ago, she always complains about "how hard I am on cars" and "The ride is a lot stiffer and the steering is too tight". Maybe she suffers from pre-placebo effect since I've never told her I added a stiffening plate and rear TRD sway bar. I'll tell her what I've done one of these days so she can be downgraded to just placebo effect.

5. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about Gen 2? I'm not familiar with its rear suspension. I was talking about Gen 3.

6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is certainly true (to a limited extend, LOL).

One mod in my Prius that was a night and day difference was pumping the tires from the stock 32PSI to 40PSI or more. The handling is so much improved, I do it in all my cars. It's free too.

The only thing is I never tested that in a blinded fashion, so it could be a placebo effect too, I guess.

7. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, yes, I'm talking about my Gen 2, not my wife's Gen 3, but you can understand my confusion since you said in your post "This reminds me this old story on placebo effect in 2nd gen Prius (scroll to the bottom 3 paragraphs):"

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In that case, my prius should be floating in the air like a hovercraft. :0 lol