1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Sway Bar

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by wayside, Sep 14, 2008.

1. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't know if the corolla bar is stiffer than the oe prius bar, but the progress bar works perfect, very easy install (replace the bolts too) no reason not to install it if you like to drive, except poverty.
    no one who has installed the progress bar has ever had any complaints about it. only thing is you need better bolts, and they need to be tight.

2. Fam-ploeg

Fam-ploeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla bar is half the cost of a Progress bar, and might be a nice compromise between a flimsy factory sway bar and a sporty aftermarket sway bar.

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I love the progress rear sway-bar, to install it I used the original Prius sway-bar bolts. I installed them exactly the way they came out (Nut side up) which sounds completely wrong - you would think that they would bolt in with the nut side down -- I torqued them to 150 ft-lbs. No issues with them coming loose (I still periodically check them and haven't had any issues). I used a cheater-bar to get the 150 ft-lbs in the confined space.

For more info about a cheater bar see: Cheater bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OSHA doesn't approve of them, but I used them quite frequently in the Army when torquing tank road-wheel bolts to 350+ ft-lbs. So I'd say use a cheater bar at your own risk, but if you are careful, you shouldn't have any issues for this application.

#383 Daves09prius, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The Corolla bar is a solid 20mm where the Touring is a lightweight hallow 20mm. Can't speak to the rigid difference between the two but I had purchased the Corolla bar, had prepped and painted it and was about to install it but then learned about the larger 24mm Progress bar. You can see the two compared below.

Painted Corolla VS Progress Bar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OEM Touring VS Progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Progress installed with a little sticker flair
    [​IMG]
    Before and After
    [​IMG]

5. Fam-ploeg

Fam-ploeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks justdidit.
    The point is that I don't know where to buy a Progress bar in Europe (anybody?). Shipping it from the USA would bring the total cost to over 200 USD, where the Corolla 20 mm solid bar (1.3 times more rigid than the 19 mm hollow Prius bar) would only be 1/3 of that.
    So I am trying to figure out whether swopping for the 20 mm Corolla bar makes any sense.

Justdidit likes this.
  6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i would say that yes it would help. the oe prius bar is a joke. the corolla bar appears from justdidits pictures to be much better, and I'm sure you will notice some improvement

Justdidit likes this.
  7. Fam-ploeg

Fam-ploeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't know whether a Corolla bar is any stiffer, but still you are sure it would help?

8. numba41

numba41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just installed the Progress rear sway bar yesterday. It was pretty straight forward with all the instructions from the forum. I did however sprayed some PB Blast on the bolts to loosen them a bit before attempting to remove after 8 years of not being touched. Overall I am satisfied with the bar. Definitely notice the flatter cornering, but looking to add the Corolla front sway bar and strut tower to further improve the handling.

9. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    after looking at the pictures in justdidit's post, you can see that the oe corolla rear sway bar is in fact heavier than the oe prius bar. I don't recall seeing that set of pictures before my post stating what I didn't know at that time. the corolla bar appears to have forged ends whereas the prius bar is just welded tubing. ultimately, you must look under a euro corolla and see if the bar looks to be heavier than a euro prius. either car might be different than their US counterparts.

10. Fam-ploeg

Fam-ploeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did that: it appeared that the OEM Corolla bar I found is identical to my OEM Prius bar (same diameter, both hollow).
    So I decided to buy a Progress bar.
    Thanks for your posts.

11. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    after you get that progress bar installed, then hit a junk yard and pick up a front corolla bar.
    don't forget to grab the frame brackets and bushings.

12. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is there a parts list I can follow for this? I know the RSB will be off a corolla or matrix but what years? A quick ebay search found bars that should work like this LINK or THIS but don't know what shape the RSB should look like. Hoping to find a used bar under $150. Some bars look like they have more curves than others and then one looks like it's just 2 bolts. I'm kinda lost. Also should the swar bar links be replaced while doing this as general maintenance?

13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you read thru this thread, you will find all the part #s you need. Check out my signature hyperlink of when I did my Progress RSB but you should find the info you need in the thread. Just look for it.

#393 Justdidit, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  14. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    for the rear bar, google th motorsports. they have the progress bar for 2003-6 corolla. it is less than $150. you can buy better bolts from Toyota or just use the oem bolts.

15. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Haha. These guys are like 10 minutes from my parents place - I see their cars all the time at local shows.

17. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So for anyone looking to upgrade in the future...

As long as you pick up part numbers 48811-AB010 or the newer 48811-AB011 from Toyota...or save money and snag a 2002-2008 Matrix or 2002-2010 Corolla front sway bar from a junkyard...All 24mm front sway bars that will work with the 2004-2009 USDM Prius.

Rear sway bar upgrade, best options are the cheaper 24mm Rear Progress bar 62.2150 (THMotorsports.com has great pricing) or the more expensive TRD 24mm Corolla/Matrix part # PTR11-02060 (mytoyotawarehouse.com has good pricing)

19. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    REPOST:

The Corolla bar is a solid 20mm where the Touring is a lightweight hallow 20mm. Can't speak to the rigid difference between the two but I had purchased the Corolla bar, had prepped and painted it and was about to install it but then learned about the larger 24mm Progress bar. You can see the two compared below.

Painted Corolla VS Progress Bar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OEM Touring VS Progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Progress installed with a little sticker flair
    [​IMG]
    Before and After
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

20. 69shovlhed