1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Sway Bar

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by wayside, Sep 14, 2008.

1. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Installed a 24mm Progress Technology 62.2150 rear sway bar (for Corolla/Matrix) on my 2009 Base Prius last night.

rear_sway_bars.jpg

Tools: 19mm socket, adjustable wrench, torque wrench. I also used an air impact wrench to get the bolts out - one of the bolts was really rusted on there, but you could probably just get away with a regular ratchet. I only used the impact wrench because it was handy.
    Time: 1/2 hour.

I also have a tunnel brace and a tower brace installed, but no other changes to the suspension. Of the three, I would say the rear sway bar made the biggest difference. It's almost like a completely different car. It really decreased the body roll during turns significantly. I had previously thought I might upgrade to a Touring suspension, but I don't see the need at this point. I just can't see any negatives to upgrading my sway bar, except possibly giving me too much overconfidence during turns.:)

THMotorsports.com, $112.00 with free shipping.

Note: If you look up this bar on the web, there are plenty of people advertising this as a 22mm bar, but all current production is 24mm. Several years ago it was 22mm. Why they gave the 24mm bar same part number is beyond me.

------------------------------
    Updated on 10/21/2011

Others have indicated (later in this thread) that the bolts are difficult to get out. An impact wrench or a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a six point 19mm socket may be required.

3 people like this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to order the Progress bar. Hopefully it will eliminate the tiny bit of body roll left after the spring upgrade.

3. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far, so good for me. I am feeling the smaller bumps and roughness of the road a little bit more since putting the new bar in, but nothing drastic. On the other hand, the change in the way the car takes corners is amazing. Still no regrets here.

It will be interesting to see how the car handles on the ice and snow this winter.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting this thread, NeoPrius.

I ordered the bar yesterday and today I picked up a 2006 Corolla front sway bar. My car already corners well with the springs and wheels but I have a feeling it's going to be kinda nutty with the new sway bars!

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does this fit a Touring Prius? Is there any advantage to swapping out my Touring sway bar for one of these?

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It should fit the same as the non- touring model. If the bar is truly 24mm and not 22mm like it says on their website then it would be a worthwhile upgrade. If it is 22 mm then I would probably spring for the TRD bar. I just didn't want to pay the extra $60+ for that bar. So I spent the money I saved on a Corolla front sway bar at a salvage yard.

1 person likes this.
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really close to biting the bullet on this one. I've squealed my tires on turns before (bridgestone potenza all-seasons) and would like some more confidence in this area. The only issue is that I want the fitment for my Touring to be confirmed. And Neo, are we positive you got a 24mm bar?

My alternative is that on page 2-3 of this thread WTI Master installed the Corolla TRD rear sway bar on his Touring. Unfortunately that was 3+ years ago, I don't have a part number, and I don't see anything online for "'02+" Corolla models (now theyr'e all 2009-2011 and I don't know if that's the same bar).

I may throw out a feeler soon to see if anyone would be interested in my Touring rear sway bar.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The correct bar would be for the 2003-2008 Corolla. The rear Corolla bar is only 20mm which is what your Touring model comes with so it wouldn't be worth changing out except that the Touring bar is hollow vs. solid for the Corolla bar. If you were to do the TRD 2003-2008 Corolla bar then you would definitely be upgrading.

Refer back to this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...p-suspension-upgrade-front-rear-sway-bar.html

As for the tire squealing, the bar may help to keep the tires planted and the contact patch more evenly placed on the road surface but I've found that my 15's squeal even with my lowered suspension and the handling limit is quickly found. With the 17s the car hugs the road and it takes MUCH more speed to cause these tires to make noise or feel like they are at their limit. That being said, you just need to buy dubs homie. :p

1 person likes this.
  9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^It sounds like you thought I was interested in a standard Corolla sway bar. Definitely not the case - I definitely want the TRD version sway bar (made for Corolla/Matrix). Mac only gets the best.

I am looking at this right now:

TRD Rear Sway Bar for 03-07 Corollas
    Part number: PTR11-02060
    2005 thru 2008 TOYOTA COROLLA REAR TRD SWAY BAR | eBay

http://www.streetperformance.com/part/trd/sway-bar/1224450-ptr11-02060.html

Am I looking at the right thing? I wish I could know if this is the same bar WTI Master bought...

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I misunderstood you until I re-read the post.

The link you provided says it is for a rear bar which would be the one you need but the picture shows a front sway bar. :)

11. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll measure my bar when I get home tonite. Progressauto.com (MFR website) says the 62.2150 is 24mm. It looked 24mm to me, but I did not actually measure it. There's no guarantee there arent some 22mm bars out there, but they were being made several years ago. It was stupid for Progress to use the same part no.

As to whether it fits your Touring or not McMaster05, you do your best homework and take your chances - then buy from someone who takes returns. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can help me confirm whether it is 24mm or not, it's very possible I go with the Progress bar. $112 is a good deal. On the other hand, part of me thinks that having a TRD part on my car would be really cool. Does that sound stupid?

As far as fitment on a Touring, I'm trying to use the transitive property of reasoning. If the Corolla bar fits on a Touring and a regular Prius, and the Progress bar fits on a regular Prius, would it not fit the Touring as well? Staticians, feel free to weigh in.

Finally, I really want to install this myself but I don't have a torque wrench and so far neither do my friends/family. Would anybody local (Fremont or Sunnyvale) happen to have a torque wrench I could borrow? I called my suspension guy to see how much this install would cost and now he charges $40 minimum. That's too much for this simple job.

13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just about any local auto parts shop will let you borrow many tools (like torque wrenches) for free - just have to put a deposit on it.

1 person likes this.
  14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for this - I called around and Kragen and O'Reilley lends out torque wrenches. $80-90+tax deposit! But this seems like a good option.

15. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The price is fair. You typically get a new or nearly new tool to borrow for free - if you don't bring it back, the store has your money.

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, I'm going to return the tool...

I'm also wondering if I need to use a jack and stands. People here have said they installed it without lifting their car, but my car is lowered by about an inch. Would have to borrow those tools too...

17. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I measured it. It is in fact 24mm.

I lifted my entire rear end about 6" when I put it in. I think would be a real pain in the butt to put in without jacking it up.

2 people like this.
  18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ughhh...what to do, what to do?...TRD bar for $170 or Progress bar for $112? I feel bad for NeoPrius who has provided me w/ some great information (I know how annoying it can be when people don't take your mod suggestions). On the other hand I think I'll feel good (but not my wallet) if I spring for the TRD bar, as recommended on this thread from 3 years ago. My coworker also recommends the TRD bar. He said some of his friends have installed Hotchkis RSBs on their Scion tC's and they've had issues with rubbing and fitment. Not saying that'll happen with the Progress bar, but my point is that TRD is such a solid brand.

BTW, that coworker has a torque wrench and will let me borrow it whenever. (Can't you see I'm making good use of work hours? :rolleyes: )

19. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem at all. It's all about what you feel comfortable with. For myself, a 24mm sway bar is a 24mm sway bar, I don't care about brand names, just functionality and cost savings. :)

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. Now I have a rear sway bar and a front sway bar at the same cost as the TRD rear bar alone. :)