1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Tail Light replacement easy?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by IWishToLearnSome, May 8, 2022.

1. IWishToLearnSome

IWishToLearnSome New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2019 Prius's lower tail light broke after a minor accident a while back and I've been meaning to get it fixed. The newer Prius seem to have a 3 piece tail lighting system and my lower portion broke.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge of how difficult it would be to replace this at home? I haven't had any luck finding helpful resources online for light replacement on these newer Prius design. Would I need to remove my rear bumper (I'm hoping this can be avoided)? I would like to replace this myself to avoid the large cost the dealership is trying to charge me if possible.

I attached an image of what the rear looks like on these Prius and which portion I'm referring to.

Attached Files:

2. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Stupidly easy.

I changed my rear reverse bulbs out for bright LED ones, so that whole red tail-light comes out to change them out.

Plastic plate comes off (I think I just used my hands instead of a pry tool), then two bolts - and a hefty pull straight back.

For example, 9:36 in this video is the same bolts, same method, but on a 2016 instead of our 2019's. But it is the same on / in ours.

3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Here it is on a 2019 if you are really concerned about differences. Start at minute 4 for the plastic piece and then the right side removal.

4. IWishToLearnSome

IWishToLearnSome New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you for the replies! Is it safe to assume that removing the lower (brake light portion) is just as easy because that's the part that I need to replace? I noticed that in both the above videos, they swap out the bulbs in the upper portion (reverse light). The lower portion is LED and needs the whole housing replaced. Is it safe to say that if I remove the upper housing and than remove the bolt holding the lower housing, I might be able to pull it out relatively easily or do you guys think there will be screws/clips or what not holding it in tight enough where I will need to lower the rear bumper?

5. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I screwed up - you're asking about the next lens lower. I'm now not sure how to remove that one.

In this video he removes the bottom from a 2016-2018 version, and he does pull back the bumper to get at them. Minute 1:42

#5 Mambo Dave, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022