1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear tailgate windscreen not fitted properly 2016

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Philthunder, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Philthunder

Philthunder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Excel
    Gen 4. I noticed little brown dots appearing in the black glass around the drivers side (right) on the tailgate. Curious I watched them grow, "Can not be right" I thought. Along the top edge then down the bottom right corner, time to ask the dealer.
    Anyway it was not a priority, but after a good wash and brush up, while polishing around the glass edge near the top right I noticed that the glass moved. Not much but enough to see, and it rattled if moved fast. Ah could that be the noise coming from the back end? Shure was! Dealer time.
    Dealer looked, scratched his head, looked at another in for service. Yes dots in the right hand corner. Nothing on the new ones. "Bring it back for the once over". Back next week and Toyota had taken an interest. New screen.
    Back the next week and a new screen fitted, phone call late in the day. "Sorry new screen has a chip in it, will call tomorrow when another has been fitted".
    The next day new screen fitted all good. Dealer showed photos of the old screen and there was little sealant around the right hand side from the top one third right down to the bottom. He said there had been problems with another new model that they have replaced several front screens.
    So if you get little brown dots appearing about 2mm diameter spaced 100mm apart you now know what to do. Apparently they are designed to show that the sealant has been applied and cured properly, mine hadn't!
    Unfortunately I cannot find what happened to the photos.

#1 Philthunder, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! someone else had rain leaking in through the rear glass. or maybe carwash.

RCO likes this.
  3. Philthunder

Philthunder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Excel
    Could be. My sealant went from a thick beak to almost nothing, easy place for water to get in. They have a clip fixed to the glass underneath out of sight, zip tied to the metal to stop the glass from fully detaching. Very strange!

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they were still struggling with the carbon fibre hatch at that point in production. that being said, there haven't been too many problems. the front windscreen may be more of an issue.

RCO and CoastRider like this.
  5. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You got that right, brother. Every one that cracks, I believe Toyota should replace those free of charge.

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Liftback does not have a carbon fiber hatch. You are thinking of the Prius PHV in the UK or the Prime in the US & Quebec.

RCO likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that was a Prius Prime / Prius PHV.

bisco likes this.
  8. Philthunder

Philthunder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Excel
    Porous carbon fibre :p

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle: