1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear trailing arm bushings shot. Tutorials? Can't find any.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by illuminaughty, Feb 20, 2023.

1. illuminaughty

illuminaughty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my bushings are cracked, I have new ones but I was just wondering if anyone has tutorials on how to do it, all I can find is some Chinese guy on YouTube selling his specialized tool to make the job easy he wants 500 dollars for. Yeah, no thanks.

I've got a hydraulic press, is the best way to just take the whole trailing arm off? Would the videos for the Corolla be the same?

I even bought two service manuals and neither covers this, lol

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yaris almost exactly I would bet .

I personally have not had to do this repair. You have to push the bushing towards the inside of the car and out onto the floor and then make a thing that looks like a steering wheel puller that will push the bearing out and then pull the new one in all from the outside of the car pushing the bushing towards the inside of the car and into your hand or onto the floor and then pulling it from the opposite way to reinstall I don't think you could smack it in with a hammer because it's rubber If you were using polyurethane bushings You could probably use a wooden drift and a hammer and smack it in place but I don't think you can do that easily with the rubber although you might dry it when you have the parts in hand and the other one out spray a little light spray oil into the boar first and then offer up the bushing and see if you can smack it into place If not you'll need the puller

#2 Tombukt2, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2023
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would expect a Corolla's trailing arm and bushings to be extremely similar.

The job is so labor-intensive that the manufacturers try to use lifetime parts, and most people junk the cars without ever replacing them.

Good on ya for doing this one. I did it on an old Outback and it reduced squeaks and allowed a better alignment.

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just had mine done, had local tire shop do it. $150usd, I supplied parts from Rockauto for half the tire shop price, middle of winter here.

Attached Files:

#3 alftoy, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.