1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear tweeter in Non-JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by horent135, May 26, 2017.

1. horent135

horent135 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have non-jbl factory system, so my rear doors only have 6.5 speaker and no tweeter. When I open my rear door panel, I do see a connector for the tweeter, so it is probably re-wired. Would it work if I just buy rear panel with the JBL tweeter into my non jbl system?

2. horent135

horent135 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just an update, the tweeter wire is not live :(

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe your existing speaker is coaxial, ie: has a buit-in tweeter?

I can't hear squat over 10K, hard to get enthused. ;)

4. IslandMountainGoat

IslandMountainGoat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thread not really new, so sorry to those bothered by my late response.

@horent135 It appears that Toyota assembles all the doors in the same way regardless of the features the car's stereo will or won't have. It is the wiring in the car, and subsequently in that plastic connector in the a/b-pillar that determines what wires in the door are "live".

So, in your case, the tweeter wire in the door is not live because there's nothing connected to it after the wires go through that little boot and get to the pillar. You'd have to put pins in the connector. My memory tells me that it's the two top pins in the right-most column (of pins) in the left-side pillar, and the two bottom ones in the right-most column in the right-side pillar.

Easiest way to know is pull off the rubber boot and look for the biggest wires in the boot. There should be 4 of the same size.