1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view camera for a 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ph47mf, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a query which I can’t find an answer to from the local UK forums, I wonder if you guys can help?

I have a 2006 Prius T-spirit (have Sat Nav but no rear park assist/rear view camera) and I want to buy a cheap and cheerful rear camera (possibly from Ebay) to install on my car. Apart from purchasing the camera, what else do I need? Do I need some sort of adaptor/wires/software upgrades or is it plug and play?

Some links of where I can buy these things from would be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

2. ph47mf

ph47mf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. pcdave

pcdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a very similar question and there is a lot of confusing questions and answers due to different models. Mine a 2006 T4 that does not have navigation or the camera but in 2006 the display was changed for that year model in the UK to the higher resolution ones and supposedly if your steering wheel on the T4 has the nav and voice controls then you have the newer display. Now mine does so in theory I should also be able to get the camera and if so desired the nav and retrofit this as plug and play. BUT like yourself looking at pictures of the MFD and the connectors on the rear I did not see any video inputs like the cheap cams on ebay come with but large connectors either 28 or 40 pin and so far no one has a clear answer on the UK forums at least of what on earth we need. :cry:

From further looking into it basically with yours as you have the navigation you splice it into the harness with the correct live wires etc that goes from your navigation system to the MFD :S

4. michas

michas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. miso03

miso03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I would like to ask the same question. I have the 01/2006 Prius with Navigation and voice, but no rear camera. Can I buy OEM camera from ebay and just plug it in (costs about 120 Dollars and has only one connector to plug in)? Or should I go with the cheaper ones with the wires and more complicated installation?

Thank you very much for your answers.

6. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. JerryScript

JerryScript Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm a new owner looking for backup camera options as well. I've found this http://www.coastaletech.com/CAMERALOCKPICK.htm but it is a bit expensive, but it does integrate well, meaning it will turn on/off as you go into and out of reverse.

For less than that price you can get a camera and screen solution on Amazon, and really cheap on eBay. If you go the cheap camera and screen route, you will most likely have to turn it on/off manually. You can install a small screen on your drivers side sun visor relatively easily (may need some Velcro tape to keep the visor from falling with the extra weight).

8. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also saw the lockpick set, but its price is abstract ... for $ 200 you can have a 360° with 4 cameras set from "Chinese friends" :D

However, I found information in one of the threads about the possibility of changing the screen to "HD" Which it already has from what I understood output to an AV camera.

The second clue is information from the lockpick specification> this module changes the signal from AV to RGB (or something like that)... Means that you can try with converters or home adapters.

I don't know if I will find enough time to play with it, the 360 ° sets from Ali really caught my eye, on the other hand it would be nice to have a picture on one screen since it is already there, instead of cluttering the board.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

JerryScript likes this.