1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view camera/monitor combo

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by TDog, Jan 13, 2014.

1. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Need some help here.
    My mechanic installed the rear view camera/monitor combo. The problem is that it works intermittently, and mostly does not at all.
    I am getting a blue screen saying No Signal whenever I actually need to back up.
    Sometimes it works after powering it on and off few times, restarting the car or switching from the reverse to the drive. Occasionally the picture becomes blurry and disappears after a few seconds.
    Steps the mechanic has taken: replaced the mirror/monitor, checked all wiring inside out. Yesterday he added a relay. Still same problem.
    What else could it be? We are at our wits' end here.

2. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You should check out the rearview camera thread...

Other than that, looks like you have a C3 with the nav/touch screen radio...and if your camera is wired to show up on that then it could be that the mechanic wired the camera to the reverse lights instead of the back of the head unit...so when you power on car and don't immediately (for the next 60seconds) go into reverse then your head unit won't detect the camera for the remainder of the ride...Or your camera could be a 12v camera and not getting enough juice from the head unit...

other than that if you have a separate monitor for the camera, then I guess your mechanic is just crappy at doing wiring work or drawing power from the wrong sources to power the camera...

Good luck...and I hope you didn't pay too much for such a bad/unskillful job

3. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    My camera is connected to a separate monitor/mirror.
    I don't know much about cars other than I know how to drive mine so I cannot judge about the workmanship's quality but he installs it on many cars, and only mine has this issue.
    He had a similar problem once before but a relay had fixed it. In my case it hadn't.

I just read on another site that some kind of an engine noise could be an issue.

Not sure what exactly it is.

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

where in NY are you? i have a similar setup as yours so i might be able to help.

5. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Since you have a C3 with touchscreen, I'd say it would look more OEM if the camera was wired to the touchscreen rather than having a different monitor for it...just my 2cents

but blurry picture and whatnot, could be a bad video cable?

6. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Kingnab, I am not in NY, I am in Central Jersey. I am not sure why it says NY.
    I do come to Brooklyn every couple of weeks.

7. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    SwhitePC, I have no idea anymore.
    Will talk to the mechanic but I believe he did check it.

8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

ah ok. if you ever in the city, we should meet up one day. see each others mods and all that.

but i had a similar problem when i installed my mirror, it was a faulty power connection to the mirror. the image would be displayed messed up or sometimes not at all and adding a correct power wire from a fuse tap at the fuse panel fixed it.

9. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Sorry, wasn't checking the site due to lack of time...my mechanic wants to replace everything with another brand. I think it is a great idea. I will see him in a couple of weeks. I am currently in Brooklyn until Sunday night. Where are you located? I'd like to meet, too.

10. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Finally my issue has been fixed. After all, it was a faulty camera.