1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view camera / reverse camera. Blurry image!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cato, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Cato

Cato New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi :)

I just purchased a Toyota Prius+ seven here in Norway. Late 2015, facelift. The same car as Prius v wagon.
    185.000km / 115.000 miles on it! Used to be a taxi. First thing I had to do was EGR, EGR cooler and inlet cleaning. Now it looks and drives like new-ish, and both me, wife and kids likes it... :) A big upgrade from 2012 avensis diesel wagon!

The issue im having is that the reverse camera shows a really blurry picture. I have tried to wash the lens really well, but nothing really changes. When I look into the lens, it seems to be okay. My guess is that water from a powerwasher or something similar have done some damage, maybe a seal is broken?
    Part number 86790-47060. Have been looking on salvaged parts, but the price is easily in the 200-300$ range. Thats way too much in my opinion, and for that price I will just keep it the way it is. Especially since (from what I can find) this is not a problem, so the demand will be propably be low.
    Anyone experienced the same? From what I remember, the image is crisp and clear on this camera normally. Toyota touch 2 btw! Dont know if its similar/comparable to what you might have in the US, but im guessing its the same.
    Will upload pictures in a few hours :)

2. Cato

Cato New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    IMG_0435.jpg IMG_0436.jpg IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0433.jpg IMG_0434.jpg
    Images as promised :)

#2 Cato, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try carefully cleaning the camera lens. Somebody may have waxed it, blurring the image.
    Any wax or oil on the lens could distort the image. I think blurring indicates an optical rather than electronic issue.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Cato

Cato New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I already tried to clean it :/ No difference.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cato likes this.
  6. Cato

Cato New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Im giving thisone a shot! If it fits, it fits. If not, its enough to keep me occupied for a while. Cheap entertainment :D Thanks for the tip.

Sooner Al and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wondering if as you are taking it out you will find a loose wire connection or a bad ground, and if you only replace the camera and still have a blur if it's the wiring on the way to the dash.
    Hopefully you have no rodent signs, nasty little wire chewers.

Cato likes this.
  8. Cato

Cato New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Problem solved. Replaced the camera with a pre facelift camera. Different connector, and I had one more cable on my facelift. I just cut and soldered them together, and left the extra cable (shield) hanging ;) Works like a charm!