1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear View Mirror - Limited Vision

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue Case, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of the "negatives" for the new 2023 Prius Hybrid is limited view using the rear view mirror. The rear hatch/back side window is smaller than 2022 Prius model, plus it's blocked by rear seat headrests. Toyota says for better viewing you need to upgrade and purchase a digital rear view mirror. Unfortunately though the digital review mirror is only offered in upper trim models.

One way to get around rear viewing problem and save a dime is to remove back seat headrests. There are two removable adjustable headrests you can take out, but I'm not sure if lower middle headrest can be removed. In either case if you have someone in the back seat over 6' tall they won't be able to use headrest due to low roof level. And I actually think the back seat area might look better with headrests removed.

Now just wonder if you can order new Hybrid with headrests removed and then you'd really would save a "dime" and greatly improve rear view vision - without needing to buy or upgrade to digital review mirror.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The middle headrest is fixed.

The rear headrests are required by law to be that height. That’s why we no longer get those foldable or retractable rear headrests like the Gen 2.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    USA Gen 4 has folding rear headrests.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but they’re the large design vs the L-shaped ones on Japanese Gen 4 models.

5. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For my Gen4 Prime, I keep the cargo shade stored, I keep my rear seats folded down, and I have a flat/satin black cargo mat covering the back hatch area (reduces reflections, and protects the back of the seats). I took the headrests out of my back seats.
    For my Gen4 Prime, I have great rear visibility.
    Having the rear seats folded down, and a cargo mat on top, it makes it very easy to put shopping bags, and anything else, in the rear.

In the Gen5, the rear middle headrest "will come out". However, I don't know how easy. The headrest is separate from main rear seat frame.
    Note that the head rests also come out of the front seats.

#5 prius16, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  6. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Those are NOT headrests. They are head RESTRAINTS. They RESTRAIN your head in accidents to prevent whiplash. Nobody uses that safety feature to rest their head.

Troubadour, daisy555 and Trollbait like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, toyota will not 'let you order a car without headrests' lol, the rear view is going to be worse, and it will prevent some people from buying it, just as the current rear bar obstructing view keeps some people from buying it.
    toyota doesn't have a clue about these things

daisy555 likes this.
  8. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Because the digital rear view mirror increases rear visibility, I feel like this is a safety feature that should be available on all the the trim levels. If you agree and you’re interested in a Gen 5 LE/XLE it wouldn’t hurt to provide this feedback to Toyota.

In the meantime, if this is something you want to add there are quite a few dash cam mirrors with digital rear view options available. I purchased one in 2020 for my Prius C, and I still regularly use it in freeway/interstate and city traffic.

Yes, maybe you shouldn’t need to buy one of these, but it’s a quick, easy to set up and affordable aftermarket upgrade, and one I certainly don’t regret.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And because US regulations are stricter, the restraints are larger than in other markets.

10. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    LMAO!!
    First, WELCOME TO EARTH!
    SECOND, WE ARE CALLED "HUMANS".
    WHAT IS YOUR SPECIES CALLED?

By what means, does your weird species typically communicate by?
    Do you have ANY language experts in your species?
    If so, maybe you should communicate (?by chirps?) with them.
    For us HUMANS, we have many interesting, COMPLEX, and DYNAMIC languages.
    Here's a very rough translation to your species: Chirrrp ccchrip ccchrip.

Lmao!

Headrest Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
    headrest
    noun
    head·rest ˈhed-ˌrest How to pronounce headrest (audio)
    1: a support for the head
    2: head restraint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_restraint
    Head restraints (also called headrests) are an automotive safety feature,

Here again, visiting species thingy, maybe consult your language expert on how WE AMERICAN HUMANS define "nobody".
    IN FACT, while driving, some people do use the headrest to rest their head, when they are tired. It may not be the best/correct thing to do, however some HUMANS, do in fact, sometimes use a headrest to rest their head. In fact, *I* have done that.
    We HUMANS, unlike your species, get tired. While driving, we may use the headrest for support, until we find a rest stop, or a safe/proper place to pull over.

Nanu Nanu!
    (y)

FuelMiser likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The design of the head rest is dictated by its safety role as a head restraint. Car companies would totally use lower profile head rests in the rear to save production costs and improve rear view, but they don't because of US safety regulations.

12. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, we get it regarding safety regulations, but that still doesn't stop someone from removing back seat headrests if they want better rear view when backing up. There is "no law" that says you have to keep back seat headrests in any vehicle, once you purchase vehicle. And I bet the odds of an accident when backing up "due to limited vision because of car design" are far greater than a head on collision where some might get neck whiplash. And again not everyone has the "green stuff" to buy an upgrade for the remote mirror.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, some have reported removing them on previous models

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I know the Sienna line has had long time shortages of this mirror. We have it on our '20 Sienna Limited and it's basically mandatory when the second row flip down video screen is in use and also at night it really helps with headlight glare better than the auto-dimming feature.

There are numerous aftermarket electronic mirror kits; some with built-in dash cameras. I've installed a couple in other vehicles. NOTE: I've had vision/focusing issues with some that are too close for me (cough, bi-focals, cough).

bisco likes this.
  15. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You spend $30,000 plus on a new vehicle you shouldn't have to go out and buy a replacement rear view mirror. Toyota would be "VERY SMART" to put the digital mirror on all Prius models/trim lines since who wants to look out tiny window opening when backing up. Hope Toyota is reading these Prius Chat posts.

daisy555 and Pri3C like this.
  16. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I agree. The rear visibility seems a bit concerning. However, this may be a case of 'internet paranoia' on the subject. I have watched many first drive videos and hardly anyone mentioned rear visibility being an issue. I'm waiting on real world reviews before drawing any conclusions.

With that said, even the Gen3 liftback had visibility issues. All of our other vehicles, including our Prius V wagon and Prius C have much better visibility than the Gen3 liftback did.

Pri3C and Tideland Prius like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota used to have a team here, but they got tired of the harassment. unfortunately, they don't have anyone reading prius chat, and maybe rightly so, since you get such a wide range of opinions, it might make them even more confused than they already are.

18. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Haha...and from what I have seen around here, PriusChat'ers love "vigorous debate". :ROFLMAO:

19. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The roads are jam-packed with trucks, buses, and vans, that don't even have a rear windows. A rear view camera provides much better coverage than any mirror.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not when the lens cover is obstructed. IDK but I think these might be federally mandated to have washers too; our Sienna has one.