1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. RobAustin

RobAustin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'll be doing the backup camera install next.
    (I've already installed the 100023 head unit into my 2012 C1 )

What kit and camera do you recommend?

Are there " recipes c for the install?

I am also writing up my install for future C1 owners - all help is appreciated,

Rob

PriusChat mobile app

2. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you've already installed the backup cam, but here's my pitch for why a dashcam mirror like this is the better option than the standard backup cam. I've had one in my Prius C for almost a year going through the 12v with an adapter that gives me an extra socket and usb charging options. It can be completely hardwired, but the standard install looks pretty clean and only takes about 20 minutes. I'd be happy to post some pics if anyone's interested in seeing how it looks.

Unlike a standard backup camera:

- You get two Front & Back camera feeds that are always recording while driving for your protection.
    - It's a mirror that goes over your mirror, so no additional space gets taken up for a dash cam in the front.
    - Backup cameras only come on when reversing, whereas something like this can be hardwired to do the same, but you also get a rear camera feed whenever you need it.
    - I opted to keep my rear camera inside - Easier install, the lens never gets dirty, and it keeps the camera at a better level for using the video feed as a rearview mirror.
    - I don't always use the video feed as a rearview mirror, but I absolutely love having it handy in traffic. It covers all my blindspots when passing, merging, and changing lanes, and I find that infinitely more helpful than having a backup camera I only occasionally glance at when reversing.

#382 Pri3C, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    RobAustin and Bob Zurunkle like this.
  3. Bob Zurunkle

Bob Zurunkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good to see this post. I’ve had my 2014 C two since last fall and have been wishing I at least had a back-up camera. Having front and aft recordings would be icing on the cake. I’ve been looking online at these devices for months. I live in downtown Toronto (pre automobile planning) where it is all dense on-street parking or narrow front yard bays.
    Do you find the mirror/display clarity acceptable when the digital feed is turned off? Would you find the back-up display bright enough at night to back into a narrow bay with just the back-up lights for illumination?
    Thanks

4. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @Bob Zurunkle Yes, the mirror works fine with the video off. You’ll notice some added shake from the road, but nothing that impedes your ability to use the mirror and see what’s behind you.

For the model I linked, I believe the left side of the screen allows you to adjust the camera view.. swipe up or down and it pans the camera feed up and down.. and on the right side you can swipe up or down to adjust the display brightness.

One tip I can offer after install is to flip the switch at the center of the actual rearview mirror to the up position and adjust for your standard mirror view (i.e. the switch on the Prius C mirror that flips it up for bright lights at night). This way if you’re using the rear video feed during the day and get distracted by any window reflections, all you have to do is flip the lever down and they go away.

The mounting kit for the rear camera I linked is meant to be screwed in, but since I installed it inside the car I opted not to screw them into my headliner (I wasn’t convinced the screws would hold anyway). I’ve been using silver thumbtacks to hold it in place, but this isn’t a very secure mounting solution and requires occasional readjustments. I think a piece of velcro would probably work better, and it’s on my list to try soon.

A glitch I’ve noticed with my model is that sometimes the rear video feed doesn’t come on when I start the car. This doesn’t happen very often, but if it does all I have to do is unplug the rear camera at the top and it comes right back. I spent $20 extra for the extended warranty Amazon offered. $120 is a pretty small investment for all this does, and if it breaks over the next few years I’ll get it replaced.

As for the rear video feed at night.. the lens can see much better than we do in low light. If there are headlights behind you on a highway at night, you won’t see much else on the screen, but you should have plenty of illumination in the city while driving and parking.

Give it try and let us know what you think!

#384 Pri3C, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  5. Bob Zurunkle

Bob Zurunkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your info and encouragement.

Pri3C likes this.
  6. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No problem. Here’s a video I took if you or anyone else is curious how the rear camera feed looks in the city at night..also shows the up & down panning I was talking about, which can be useful for reversing and parking.

Of course if the windows are really dirty or it’s raining you won’t see as well. But if it was mounted outside and raining you’d probably have the same problem. I personally prefer the higher view, and I usually keep my windows pretty clean and clear.

RobAustin and Bob Zurunkle like this.
  7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Neat system you have there.

We may be getting a 2012 Prius c two model to replace our daughter's 2010 liftback that was recently in an accident ( she is ok and was not at fault ). (y)

However, I'll *need* to install a backup camera ASAP because she has to park on the street in Minneapolis, MN. She feels it is essential for her to parallel park easier.

One question. From the discussion above, you say that the video can be turned off and the mirror will function normally...correct? However, I'm wondering if it can be set up to function like a dash cam...that is, only have the video come on when the vehicle is in reverse ( i.e. - like a backup camera ). Any idea?

Edit: From a prior post you do mention that "this can be hardwired" to have the video only come on while in reverse. Any idea if they give you instructions on how to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Pri3C likes this.
  8. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I believe the one I have came with instructions on how to wire the rear camera to the reverse light. You’ll need to mount the camera outside the car if you go that route. Doing this will also show parking assist lines when you’re in reverse.

Even though I don’t have mine hardwired, when I start the car it automatically comes on showing the rear camera feed.

If the front video feed was on when I shut off the car, I suppose that would be what came on the next time I started it (but since I have no reason to look at the front camera 99% of the time, it never is).

The display can be switched on and off with a push of the button.

#388 Pri3C, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  9. FireFire

FireFire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just wonder if any one lives up north like me(Canada), I am going through the camera at least one unit every two years. Looks like water damage as it always happened in the winter. The picture started showing lines and then went dead after.