1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear View Mirror - Limited Vision

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue Case, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it funny that for years (decades), reviewers complained about the split window and how it made visibility worse. When I watched the Gen 5 launch videos, a number of reviewers pointed out that now visibility is worse because the lower rear window is no longer there.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Not denying that. However, a rear view mirror isn't standard...and we shouldn't have to pay a premium to get decent visibility. (y)

daisy555 likes this.
  3. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. When I was shopping around for cars in 2020 I only test drove one standard Prius, and I didn’t like the split view / spoiler situation at all, so I’m happy to see it go. I think it’s a bit early to assume rear visibility will be an issue with the new model, but I would get a third party dash cam mirror regardless for the LE (which would be the only model I’d be interested in). IMO Everyone should have a couple dash cams these days, and I like that having the front cam integrated with the mirror keeps it out of the way. I mount my rear cam inside and keep the hatch window clean, but I would probably put it outside if I had a fancy one with wipers.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, the split window was bad, how could removal of the lower window be better?

5. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I loved the split window, personally. Blocked annoying headlights from glaring into my rear-view mirror at night.

daisy555 and Trollbait like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are completely free to remove the headrests or order low profile ones from Europe. But what happens if you have rear passengers without the US spec restraints in place, and you are rear ended?

I only look out the back window before moving. Since the Camry with back up camera, which is mandatory, I'm watching the dash screen with wider view of the rear that covers the blind spot of the trunk/rear panel.

The digital mirror requires a second camera installed in the back. If not required, manufacturers would be skipping on the first.

I don't think the washers are required; rear wipers aren't. Haven't had the back up camera totally obstructed yet.

Many people didn't know how to adjust the rear mirror right to allow visibility out both windows.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So we're in a world now where the wealthy can afford more safety features (upgraded digital mirror) where those who count pennies run the risk of increased "back-up accidents" using standard rearview mirror. Just saying when come to better driving visibility (front, back and sides) all owners of the 2023 Prius/Prime should have benefit (at no extra cost) to digital review mirror.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hasn't that always been the case?

For the Gen 2, VSC and side/side curtain airbags were optional on higher packages.

On Gen 3, PCS was available on the V/Five with AT Package

On the Gen 4 for 2016, TSS-P was optional on the base model.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    other than federal requirements, we've always been in that world.

personally, i would prefer the option of opting out

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You use your rear view mirror to back up? That's for doing quick checks on what's behind you while driving forward. No back up camera, you should be turning to look out the back window when reversing.

The digital mirror showed up in minivans and large SUVs because there was more likely hood of something in the car blocking the view from the mirror. It uses a camera positioned higher up than the back up camera to give a view similar to what you would get when using the mirror. In some cars, the screen for it is the mirror.

The higher trim Prius are getting it to make up for the loss of the rear wiper. It might show a little more area than the mirror could show, but most of its advantage is that the view won't have people's heads, head rests, of c pillars in the way. Other than that, it won't be of much more help than the mirror itself. When reversing, the back up camera's wider angle will show more to the sides, and the more down ward view the edge of your bumper.

As for paying more for safety features, the only reason the automotive world got three point safety belts as soon as it did is because the people at Volvo were kind enough to open up the patents as soon as they filed them. Most of the others would keep them exclusive while charging extra for them.

daisy555 and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Don’t worry too much.
    With the camera and sensors you won’t need the mirror for reversing. Almost impossible for you to back into anyone or any object. The car will brake for you.
    The mirror in a Prius is useful when someone is tailgating you so you can move to the right lane. Now that the new Prius is much faster it will be less needed anyways.

daisy555 likes this.
  12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you thinking the digital camera might not be a necessary add on? I’ve never used one. I have no trouble seeing out the back of my Gen 2. I test drove a Gen 4 and rear view seemed more challenging but it was a brief test drive.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my car goes plenty fast to keep up with traffic. i only move to the right lane if i am intentionally driving slower than the pack

14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Uhh...all models do have the backup camera standard. So there should be zero issues when doing "backing up" activities.

The issue is supposedly poor rear visibility when in traffic, switching lanes, etc... (y) However, I still think folks here like to debate things that very well may not be an issue ( including me ). Let's wait and see.

15. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    For me a digital mirror is nice to have but not necessary at all. I am used to relying on camera, sensors for reversing and it never failed me. The auto braking has saved my bumper many times. I only need the mirror to see how close cars are behind me and I think a regular mirror in the lower trims will do just fine.

Plus, having a digital mirror does require your eyes to refocus to a much nearer distance while a regular mirror does not. If that is a concern.

daisy555 likes this.
  16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I’m trying to picture what happens when trying to back up in a tight spot. The sensor must accommodate for this.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The warning will scream at you. Can't say how the rear auto braking will behave, but I can turn it off in the Subaru. Same with the warning if it gets real annoying.

daisy555 likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto brake is only if the car is equipped with ICS. (Unless you’re talking about backing out of a spot, then that’s RCTB and radar-based)

19. Richard III

Richard III Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    But you can remove them