1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger3125, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

I think we are all in agreement the rear view is lacking to the point it is damn right unsafe....especially the view to the right side.

Anyone have suggestions for seeing what the mirrors don't allow you to?

In the next generatin Prius I would like them to show the backup view on the screen when you hit the turn signals. When left blicker is on, the rear camera swings a little to the left. showing what behind and to the left of the car. Right signal same but to the right. When the signal cancels or you turn if off rear view shuts of.

I would also like the backup sound to be heard both on inside and outside of car. With the engine off no one can hear the car.

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 3 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]343664[/snapback]</div>
    I prefer a lower tech solution to this design flaw. It's easy, more glass where you need it. The camera solution doesn't work because one doesn't want to turn on the signals just to see what's coming, especially not on the highway. Our old Honda hatchback never had this issue.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are your mirrors adjusted in car guys (click and clack) fashion? That works pretty well. As I'm feeling lazy, search this forum.

4. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 4 2006, 05:25 AM) [snapback]343693[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure if I ever heard it described as the click and clack fashion, but in my setup there if virtually no blind spot. I put my head next to the window and adjust the mirror so I only see the edge of the car.
    Now when I am driving I can watch cars move from my rear view to my side view mirror.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    the click and clack fashion was described in several other posts, and even a link to their web site is a very effective way of eliminating most of the the blind spot. What remains is an area not sufficient to hide an entire vehicle. I adjusted mine and having gotten used to them adjusted that way find it extremely helpful.

Now, I need to tell my wife so she'll stop re-adjusting them to the "old" positions..... :lol:

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 4 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]343664[/snapback]</div>
    Then I'm afraid you think incorrectly.

With the mirrors adjusted properly I have absolutely no issues.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got those little fish-eye mirror things and put them on my outside mirrors; I now have no more blind spots.

8. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's really no need for "fish eye" mirrors if your side mirrors are adjusted correctly (by which I mean that when a car in your rear-view mirror starts to pass you on either side, you see it in your side mirror as it leaves the rear-view mirror, and as it leaves your side mirror you can see it beside you with peripheral vision).

Here's the link for instructions on how to adjust them:

http://cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, maybe you should sit in an FJ Cruiser or the Infiniti FX. Only then will you know what it's like to have ZERO visibility lol.

The Prius is fine in my books. Rear view, indicate, right mirror, shoulder check, move over.

If you check your mirrors often enough, you should remember what car was on the right lane, behind you. I suppose it's harder if you're on a multi-lane highway and someone on the far right changes into the lane immediately to your right but I suppose that's what the indicator is supposed to mean, not "omg that guy wants to change <speeds up>"

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have no problem with my right side (I didn't need the extra mirror for it, either). But on the driver's side, no matter how I adjusted it I seemed to get a blind spot. I admit I didn't try the Car Talk way (only because I didn't know about it at the time), but I had never had trouble with this in any car I had previously owned.

11. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

In early 20004 After bumping into a low barrier post while backing up in a parking lot I searched the web for a backup warning system. I found one for $125. It was a pretty simple installation. It draws power from the backup light. When in reverse I'm gently warned at 8' (voice and alarm), more strongly at 5', more strongly yet at 3', then very strongly at 12". When I go into reverse it beeps once to let me know it's working. I've disabled my Prius backup alarm (no need for it).

I just checked on the web to see if it's still available. I found several. This is the one I think I bought:

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Back_up_p...ce_features.htm

works great.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is a big step down in rear visibility form my old Civic station wagon, but I once rented a car that was even worse.

I adjust my mirrors in the cartalk fashion (link in mcbrunnhilde's post, above) and I always turn my head and look back before changing lanes.

It's not one of Prius's strengths, but you get used to it.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The rear view seems fine to me.

It's a lot better than in my 350Z. I also recently tried out a Mazda RX-8 at a Mazda driving event and boy, that has poor visibility out the sides and rear.

I use the "Click and Clack" method in the link posted earlier, which I have posted here a bunch of times before.

14. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 3 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]343664[/snapback]</div>

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/car_access...171a850c822c5a2

Convex rear view mirror. I have been driving with one for years and it helps a lot.
    Don't need to flip it because the convex shape makes bright lights much less bright.

15. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TEMPUS said:

"Then I'm afraid you think incorrectly.

With the mirrors adjusted properly I have absolutely no issues."

I agree with him. <_<

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An additional tweak that helps a little more is to invert the rear view mirror. Upside down its outline is a better fit to the projection of the rear window. Note that the mirror must be inverted by turning it counter-clockwise; forcing it the other way will break it.

17. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In addition to all these great posts about how to best adjust the mirrors, you could install something like this: http://evnut.com/prius_mfd_video.htm

It'll let you access the rearview camera whenever you want (i put mine on a button in one of the blanks next to the steering wheel), which could help... it would be rather interesting to tie that in with the blinkers too - and none too difficult, i would think.

FWIW, i don't have any problems in this car with visibility of the mirrors / blind spots - but on my old car i had the fisheye mirrors to help with the blind spots (it had some pretty big ones). If anything, i think other people have a problem with their blind spots when i'm in them... this weekend alone i had two different people try to merge into me!