1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Washer Fluid Dispenser Broken

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SureValla, Mar 11, 2009.

1. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed the my rear washer fluid dispenser no longer works the other day. It's strange b/c I a) have fluid in the tank and b) my front dispenser works fine.

Anyone know how to fix this issue or is this something the shop is going to have to do?

I assume its not the motor b/c I thought both dispensers run off the same motor.

2. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did this happen when the temperature was below freezing? If so, does your washer fluid have anti-freeze properties? It may be that the line to the rear window froze up.

This happened to me once when it got to below freezing while I still had summer washer fluid in the car. As soon as it warmed up, the rear spritzer worked again.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Both squirters can't run from the same motor unless there is a valve system, otherwise you would have to wash the windshield and rear window at the same time. I would imagine it is cheaper to use two pumps rather than fool with valves. That leads to one of the following being your problem:

1) Fuse.
    2) Rear washer pump.
    3) Rear pump switch.
    4) Clogged nozzle.
    5) Obstructed hose.

If it is a clogged nozzle or obstructed hose you should hear the pump run. If you don't hear anything, suspect #1-3.

Tom

Tom

4. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yea, it didnt happen during the winter and I did do a motor test, forgot to mention that, and I can hear it running.

I keep my car in a garage though which during the winter gets only as low as 45 deg on a real cold day. I guess this doesnt stop it from happening though.

How warm does it need to be for it to "thaw" out?

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With the hood open, have another person listen as you hit the rear wash. If they hear the motor running, but nothing squirts out, usually the rear squirter is iced, or plugged.

Try a needle, like you would use for sewing - like I know anything about sewing - and carefully try to clean out the squirter. I require a magnifying glass and strong light to see what I'm doing

Both my Prius and my FJ have required this procedure, front and back. I use -45 C rated washer fluid from Canadian Tire. The squirters always plug after I do a wax job, I obviously get wax into the squirter holes

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably a bad prostate.

Tom

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In that case, I recommend Flomax and Proscar. That squirter will soon be able to p*** like a race horse

8. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    45 deg is not cold enough to freeze over night. And, if it was frozen when you parked, it should thaw by the morning.

9. Tchou

Tchou Member

In My VW Polo, it was a single motor, turning clockwise it sent water to the front and counter clockwise it sent water to the back, I guess it's cheaper and simplier this way than two pumps two motors etc...

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That makes sense. Very clever idea.

Left to me to design, a washer system would have four pumps, eight modulating valves, and a couple of PID controllers. :D

Tom

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cascade control?

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only if it were a dishwasher. :rolleyes:

Tom

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :doh:

If I had to design the Prius windshield washer system, I'd just have a squeegie in the car. The instruction card would read:

"You wash your own windshield!"

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sunroof and a bucket maybe?

Tom

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, that would work too

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had a question asking what I mean "cascade control"

In a PID loop, instead of one controller, you have two controllers. The OP of the primary controller directly controls the SP of the secondary controller, thus "cascade"

This sort of control loop is fairly common with heat exchangers, eg a certain process fluid must be heated or cooled. In this case, the primary controller takes the PV off a TT on the output of the HX. The primary controller is Temperature

The secondary controller regulates a valve to the heat exchanger, eg steam or hot water from the plant recovery boiler. The OP of the primary controller is directly connected to the SP of the secondary controller, which is Flow

You still have to program the PID's, I can get into Ziegler-Nichols if anybody desires