1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear wheel axle clicks and clanks. Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by goodwheelz, Apr 16, 2019.

1. goodwheelz

goodwheelz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My car has 110k miles. I just replaced all 4 brake rotors, pads and calipers. Mechanic propped up the car, removed the wheels, rear brakes altogether and showed me this clicking and clanking sound, when he hand turned the rear wheels. Is this a problem? Is it normal? ABS related?

2. Hammond_Egger

Hammond_Egger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your hubs/bearing are shot. I just did them on my 2011 with 130k miles on it, had the same noise before replacing them.
    Do yourself a favor and buy quality parts (like SKF, same as OEM and made in Japan, I verified this with my old ones!). DO NOT USE CHEAP local auto chain brands, as you will need to replace them in 3 to 6 months again. FYI, the Timkens are just rebranded SKF for more money.

Rockauto has a great price:
    2011 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.8L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly | RockAuto

Here is a 5% off coupon, just use code 106696076101141576 in the "How did you hear from us" box.

bisco likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Holy rust batman.............that, without a doubt, is a northern car........................................that environment is sooooooo tough on brakes, brake lines, crimped hose ends, suspensions, bearings, hubs, fasteners....... Never mind, I'll end up listing just about every part of a car thats not a piece of the interior................ brutal..

4. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    rear hubs, i changed both my rears. they go out prematurely.