1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by silverone, Aug 19, 2013.

1. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Need to replace at least one rear wheel bearing, but still not positive which side. Getting a whump whump whump and slight howl at speed that seems to be worse going around right turns, so will change the drivers side first.

The process looks pretty simple as long as the Prius is as similar to Corolla/Vibes of the same years.

Can anyone verify that there is no regenerative braking on the rear and no need to disconnect the 12v battery? Does the trailing arm tube get in the way of removing the bottom bolts? Any other pointers for the job?

Thanks!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no regen braking on the rear wheels. However I suggest you disconnect the 12V battery before you start work on the car to make sure you don't have a problem with the skid control ECU logging a DTC while you are working on the rear wheels, having to suspend the drum brake plate assembly while you are replacing the axle hub and bearing, etc.

Tightening torque on the four bolts that hold the axle hub/bearing is 45 ft.-lb.

silverone likes this.
  4. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both for the link and information. I had to go out and verify again that I had rear drums! The NHW20 manual is Euro-Spec so it refers to only rear disk brakes, but I'm sure it'll come in handy for other things!

It did say that if I'm not doing anything requiring a brake bleed that I may be okay waiting 2 minutes after the last time the Power button is pressed to begin work - I assume due to the Skid Control ECU. Will disconnect battery anyway - just hate to reset everything for windows, seat belts, and reverse...