1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear window defogger indicator and VSC indicates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dinusha Sathkumara, May 9, 2017.

1. Dinusha Sathkumara

Dinusha Sathkumara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius and yesterday rear window defogger indicator and VSC lights appeared at once and scanner does not find any error ...
    both lights go off when I turn off the Recirculate mode.

what may be the issue?

#1 Dinusha Sathkumara, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What did you use to check for codes? They bought turned off immediately when pushing recirculate mode? Now everything works OK? Maybe bad combination meter?

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does it matter if you change recirculate mode on the dash display or the steering wheel pushbutton?

I can only speculate that the defogger and recirculate switches on the steering column are closely connected via the spiral cable ("clockspring"). The spiral cable is a common failure on this model.

That does not explain the VSC problem. Though there is a steering angle sensor directly attached to the spiral cable housing, there's no electrical connection. I suppose if you have a major mechanical failure of the spiral cable, it could affect the VSC, but that would be very unlikely.

I agree, you need a Toyota scanner to read the VSC code. If the light came on, something's there.

4. Dinusha Sathkumara

Dinusha Sathkumara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the Launch Pad X-431 , VSC and defog both come on with the AutoA/C / Recirculate/ or Defog buttons.
    but when I turn on the out side air mode with defog off VSC light also disappears.

my steering wheel multi function buttons are also not working properly..

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not sure if your scanner can read the hundreds of Prius-specific codes. I know the Mini VCI will work, or you can take it to Toyota. Without the VSC codes, it's a guess.

But you do have symptoms of a bad "clockspring" (spiral) cable. Especially if your cruise control doesn't work. There are threads here about that. You have to remove the airbag, which requires some basic safety measures, but otherwise is not a hard job. Be sure to use your car's VIN to get the correct part--there are different button options available for different packages.

And like I said above, the VSC steering angle sensor is attached, so it would be a perfect time to service that if the codes point in that direction, so to speak.