1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Window Fogging - new idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by donee, Sep 11, 2007.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Welp, the mornings are now going down below dewpoint solidly. Solong summer. And the rear window fogging issue is with us again.

So, while out doing a mouse inspection, I had an idea. Maybe somebody else has had this idea. Some of you may know about the fender vents in the Gen II Prius. These are rubber flaps that cover a plastic grillwork that covers a hole on the inside of the fender well. On the right side, the exhaust heat vent from the battery leads to grill. On the left side there is the rubber flap and grill down under/behind the storage comparment.

Might it be possible to get that vent to exhaust air from the rear deck area?

In stock condition the vent is all sealed off from flow.

But what about taking off the light bulb service covers. From that cavity its a straight shot down to these vents. So, if the taneau cover was retracted, and these covers removed, maybe we can get more flow down across the rear window?

While writting this I just realized the rubber cover is going to be held shut by air pressure. So, maybe it can be propped open with something --- tomorrow is another day...

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Welp, the mornings are now going down below dewpoint solidly. Solong summer. And the rear window fogging issue is with us again.

So, while out doing a mouse inspection, I had an idea. Maybe somebody else has had this idea. Some of you may know about the fender vents in the Gen II Prius. These are rubber flaps that cover a plastic grillwork that covers a hole on the inside of the fender well. On the right side, the exhaust heat vent from the battery leads to grill. On the left side there is the rubber flap and grill down under/behind the storage comparment.

Might it be possible to get that vent to exhaust air from the rear deck area?

In stock condition the vent is all sealed off from flow.

But what about taking off the light bulb service covers. From that cavity its a straight shot down to these vents. So, if the taneau cover was retracted, and these covers removed, maybe we can get more flow down across the rear window?

While writting this I just realized the rubber cover is going to be held shut by air pressure. So, maybe it can be propped open with something --- tomorrow is another day...

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not use the climate control system and just eliminate the problem. Just set it to Auto amd a decent temp and you will not have the problem.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not use the climate control system and just eliminate the problem. Just set it to Auto amd a decent temp and you will not have the problem.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Seasalsa,

Well, this morning I turned off the climate control, as body heat was plenty to keep the passenger comparment warm, and using the heater slows down the warm up cycle. I think the car needs a heat off button, just like it has a an AC off button. But, later in the year the same problem happens even with the climate control on. Not till it gets down below freezing is it less of a problem. As the air gets drier.

Takes forever on my morning run to get clear rear glass. Not until there is air flowing through the car at highway speed does it clear up. On the 40 mph secondary road its fogged for the whole 4 miles. A few minutes on the highway at 60 mph and its clear. Opening the rear windows a crack has little effect. Seems the air back behind the rear windows is in a stagnant zone.

Getting some air to flow out right near the rear window should improve things. One could open a rear door window, and get air to flow in that window, over the hatch glass and out the vent. Front passenger comparment would stay warm, and hatch glass would clear.

Windshield only had a little condensation, which cleared due to the ventilation in less than a mile. But the rear window stayed covered with condensation for about 5.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Seasalsa,

Well, this morning I turned off the climate control, as body heat was plenty to keep the passenger comparment warm, and using the heater slows down the warm up cycle. I think the car needs a heat off button, just like it has a an AC off button. But, later in the year the same problem happens even with the climate control on. Not till it gets down below freezing is it less of a problem. As the air gets drier.

Takes forever on my morning run to get clear rear glass. Not until there is air flowing through the car at highway speed does it clear up. On the 40 mph secondary road its fogged for the whole 4 miles. A few minutes on the highway at 60 mph and its clear. Opening the rear windows a crack has little effect. Seems the air back behind the rear windows is in a stagnant zone.

Getting some air to flow out right near the rear window should improve things. One could open a rear door window, and get air to flow in that window, over the hatch glass and out the vent. Front passenger comparment would stay warm, and hatch glass would clear.

Windshield only had a little condensation, which cleared due to the ventilation in less than a mile. But the rear window stayed covered with condensation for about 5.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 11 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]510992[/snapback]</div>
    The climate control system de-humidifies the air in the car, If you don't have it on before shutting the car down for the night you are just trapping humid air in the car to condense on the windows. Opening a window just adds more humid air. Have you tried the rear window defroster? That might help.

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 11 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]510992[/snapback]</div>
    The climate control system de-humidifies the air in the car, If you don't have it on before shutting the car down for the night you are just trapping humid air in the car to condense on the windows. Opening a window just adds more humid air. Have you tried the rear window defroster? That might help.

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've thought about putting a small fan down there.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've thought about putting a small fan down there.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Seasalsa,

I did use the automatic temperature control on the drive home the night before. I just turned it off at the beggining of the morning drive. It was sunny, dry and about 75 degrees during the drive home the night before. The dewpoint was in the mid 50's, and the temp went down to 50 overnight. This morning the temp is down to 43. Dewpoint is probably 50. This is quit dry air.

No, I tired to avoid using the rear window defroster, as there was no frost. My past experience with it in these conditions is it would half the defogging time. Because the temperature is so warm, and its intended to get the glass above freezing, primarily.

I am just looking for a synergistic way to get rid of the fogging, that saves gas too.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Seasalsa,

I did use the automatic temperature control on the drive home the night before. I just turned it off at the beggining of the morning drive. It was sunny, dry and about 75 degrees during the drive home the night before. The dewpoint was in the mid 50's, and the temp went down to 50 overnight. This morning the temp is down to 43. Dewpoint is probably 50. This is quit dry air.

No, I tired to avoid using the rear window defroster, as there was no frost. My past experience with it in these conditions is it would half the defogging time. Because the temperature is so warm, and its intended to get the glass above freezing, primarily.

I am just looking for a synergistic way to get rid of the fogging, that saves gas too.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a rear window demister not a defroster. Put it on to clear mist from the back window, it works every time for me. That wasn't a challenge was it.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a rear window demister not a defroster. Put it on to clear mist from the back window, it works every time for me. That wasn't a challenge was it.

15. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 12 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]511164[/snapback]</div>
    Yes..Run the rear defogger. I have to do that in my Miata when I have the top up and the AC on as the AC vents are so close to the rear window and it's hella humid down here in Central Texas the rear window fogs up. I push on the rear defogger and it quickly defogs the window.

John

16. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 12 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]511164[/snapback]</div>
    Yes..Run the rear defogger. I have to do that in my Miata when I have the top up and the AC on as the AC vents are so close to the rear window and it's hella humid down here in Central Texas the rear window fogs up. I push on the rear defogger and it quickly defogs the window.

John