1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear window replacement cost

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by KrPtNk, May 18, 2016.

1. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have read numerous comments about the potentially large replacement cost of the Prime's unusually shaped rear window. I think that for the most part the concerns are voiced by people who see the window as unnecessary and primarily a styling affectation.

I am not at all certain that simply because of its unconventional shape the glass would necessarily cost much more than the gen4 replacement. I assume that the manufacturer would slump the glass over some kind of mold. Why would the Prime's somewhat concave shape be any more difficult to make than the typically convex shape. It's just another mold the company would have in their inventory of potential shapes.

I like the rear treatment of the Prime and find the glass shape integral to its success. The fact that it has aerodynamic advantages makes it even better. Even if there is a difference in replacement costs (and I doubt there is much of any) it is worth having. How many rear windows have you had to replace? For me, none.

bisco likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty much every sheet of windshield glass is a unique shape, I would think. OTOH, maybe the dimple complicates the manufacture process? Couple this with the low numbers of next gen PIP, this might discourage third party manufacture?

KrPtNk likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Having more, and opposing curves in the glass makes it harder to make. Even harder without distorting the view out of it. Which could lead to more QA rejected parts. Colored toilets don't cost more because of the dye cost, they cost more because more have to be trashed for coloring imperfections. This all equals higher cost.

Even if you never had or have to replace the rear window, the cost to replace it is factored into your insurance premiums.

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not at all worried about the cost. The insurance industry will come up with the premiums to account for real costs of replacements and the history of what percentage of insured will probably suffer a broken rear window. I'll bet the incidents of that happening are low - outside of the car being rear ended. I don't think that with all the other things in a car to get messed up, one rear window will make a big difference.

If anything is going to cost bigger dollars it will be the OEM windshield with that reflective inside surface for the HUD display, the IR treatments, the dimples for the sun dimming, internal FM antenna, (rain sensor?), etc. Supposedly, the OEM windshields are somewhat north of $1K US dollars, or have been as reported in other threads.

KrPtNk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had the hatch replaced once, because the body guy said you couldn't fix aluminum. not sure if it came with glass, or he swapped it.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked the designer about concerns of the Prime's rear curved glass at New York. He said it shouldn't cost more because it's curved but it might cost more because it's has more glass (the surface area is greater). i.e. he thinks it's the fact that more glass is used (because of the curvature and design) that will determine the cost of the rear window rather than the actual moulding.

Just a thought, scraping the rear window of frost will be interesting.

drash and KrPtNk like this.
  7. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree that the curvature shouldn't in and of itself be a reason for any increased cost.

About it being more difficult to make: first, think that in a curved shape it is more difficult to spot imperfections, if in fact there any. And secondly, there won't be many problems because a supplier that has to deal with many seconds isn't in control of his manufacturing process and won't be in business for long.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when has a designer ever had a clue about cost? those ladies live in ivory towers.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    True that. You'll never see mention in the glossy brochures, regarding low collision repair costs, part replacement.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The distortion would be the biggest factor. You don't want owners complaining about the split rear window AND the dizziness when they look out the rear window. I'll be curious to see that window out on the road.

Of course not. What product ever mentions that?

Plus, it's never what it seems. Take the 2002 Suzuki Aerio which had the highest repair cost in the 5mph test compared to all other compact cars at that time. The reason? The bumper cracked, requiring a new set of bumpers, while all the other competitors were able to absorb the impact. You won't see that mentioned anywhere.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The generation 3 Toyota Prius of course, in the New Car Features Manual:

repcost.png

I have to say, I don't see any similar section in the Gen 4 NCF. On the other hand, there is a section talking about how carefully they've designed the hood and cowl louvers for energy absorption from a pedestrian.

-Chap

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking too, of things like brake master cylinder (multiple $1000's), headlights (over $1000 per).

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    touché :)

Although we're probably only geeky enough to check it out :D

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been way too many complaints about making a simple windshield. i don't even want to think about the defective rear window problems.

15. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't care so much about cost of replacement, but more about scraping ice and snow off of it. Or no wiper to clean the rain/snow while driving. It better have a really really slick surface to it. And no, those defroster lines aren't enough when driving in heavy snowfall.

bisco likes this.
  16. Cparker

Cparker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the rear window hatch design should be a one piece glass that curves at the bottom for better visibility and style. . A wiper could be installed at the top or side of the hatch. Another option is to go with a thinner divider between the 2 windows, probably easier. I've also seen custom jobs on front split windshields, where the divider was taken out, and the 2 windows are fused together to make it look more like a one piece.

#16 Cparker, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  17. Cparker

Cparker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know of a custom rear hatch designer?

#17 Cparker, Jan 28, 2018
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sounds real expensive.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the price of the rear window now available?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In answer to the (sort of) original question(s)....

MSRP:

By comparison, a Gen 3 back window MSRPs for $495, so the swooshy Prime one is somewhat more expensive.

But maybe it should be compared to the non-Prime Gen 4, Non-swooshy one, $697.09.

So the swoosh only adds about 24 bucks.

Those prices are all MSRP. Village Toyota, for example, is listing the swooshy back glass for $511.

-Chap

Edit: looking more closely at the two windshield choices, the cheaper one has "W(HEAD UP DISPLAY)" in the description ("Show More" under "Diagrams and Kits"), but it only has "Prius Hybrid Two" and "Prius Prime Hybrid Three" under "What This Fits". The more expensive one does not mention HUD in its description, but lists Prime Hybrid Four, Four Adv, and Three in What This Fits. Go figure....

#20 ChapmanF, Jan 28, 2018