1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear window replacement cost

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by KrPtNk, May 18, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks. not nearly as bad as i thought. i suppose when you add up all the potential cost increase's over gen 3, it might be quite a bit, but actuarily, might not effect things much.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He forgot quality control. Making curved glass that doesn't distort the view through it runs the risk of more units being tossed for not passing QA. Colored toilets don't cost more than white ones because of the dye. It is because they have more faulty ones because of color imperfections.

A coworker told me to keep a 35% to 45% mix of rubbing alcohol in a squirt bottle to melt ice and frost on the windows.

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And that does what to the paint as the alcohol builds up at the bottom edge of the window glass over the duration of the winter?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found the alcohol evaporated about half way down the block and the water refroze.

Bob Wilson

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    An alcohol is used as the antifreeze in the windshield washer fluid; usually methanol.
    I once picked up some Prestone defroster sprays on clearance. Could tell there was IPA in it from the smell.
    The goal is to get the ice out of the field of view.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually they use isopropyl alcohol in windshield washer antifreeze, which is the same as "rubbing alcohol", and it doesn't seem to affect the paint over years of use. Even the stuff rated to -45C. And it will all freeze when sprayed on a cold windshield (car not warmed up yet) as the wipers spread it thin. Making it almost impossible to see. But we're all texting anyway and not looking out the windshield, right? That's why we have DRCC and pedestrian avoidance!

As for the cost differences in the windshields, I believe some are noise absorbing glass and some are not. That may be the difference. Then there is the water repellent glass.

7. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don’t know that I agree about the quality control costs being higher on the Prime glass. Windshield shapes are critically controlled in all dimensions. If a piece of glass is so out of specification that it begins to distort, that company is in for a lot of rejects that won’t fit properly into the chassis.

Are you someone who worked in a sanitary ware manufacturing factory? Maybe I’m wrong but I could see where white porcelain would be more difficult to produce. It would show every dark spot or colored contaminant. Glaze colorants aren’t cheap. I never worked in a sanitary ware factory; just my two cents worth.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I use isopropyl to strip wax before using touch up paint.

9. Angel And The wolf

Angel And The wolf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife has bought a mobility scooter, and I have bought tri-fold ramps to put it in our 2011 Prius. Unless I remove the seat of the scooter, the liftgate will not close.I want to replace the liftgate glass with a plexiglas bubble, so that I can roll the scooter in, and close the liftgate. Does anyone know the body shop labor cost to remove the glass in one piece?

10. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Any thoughts of mounting a trailer hitch and chair lift instead? Might be easier to use and less expensive than diddling with the window.

#29 pghyndman, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A powered wheel chair weighs a lot more than a bicycle, and Toyota doesn't want you even carrying bikes on a trailer hitch in the US.

Going by the tow rating the Prius has in Europe, around 80lbs is all Toyota wants on the hitch. With the weight of the battery, it may be less, though officially zero as the Prime doesn't have a tow rating there.