1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear window spoiler/wind deflector?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Kappy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Kappy

Kappy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know or have they tried installing a sunroof deflector along the rear window to block rain and whatnot from coming down the window when driving in bad weather? I know for some vehicles they make specific rear window deflectors or spoilers, but so far all I have seen is the vertex USA rear window spoiler (and I'm not paying 225) and an AVS 41.5" wind deflector (used for sunroofs). I'm thinking of trying the AVS, just unsure if it will fit properly. It attaches with 3m tape. I measured the strip above the rear window before it attaches to the roof...It's about 43" wide. So having .75" on each side wouldn't be bad and it should cover the whole window. Any thoughts and/or ideas?

Btw, just picked up a 2010 2 weeks ago, blizzard pearl. Love it so far!!

2. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I purchased one of the slim roof wings on eBay to install about the same place you are mentioning. I am modifying it to sit around the rear washer head. Not done yet, but here is a picture of a test fit. It installs with 3M tape. Width is very close and it stands up just enough so it should deflect rain over the rear window at most speeds.
    spoiler test fit 1.jpg

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this is a way to eliminate the rear wiper blade that'd be awesome...

Please repost your experience with your effort next winter when it's been tested often enough to form a conclusion.

Also, I'm thinking what might work better at freeway speeds is something that would focus/force the air flow onto the rear window in a way that'd keep it clear of raindrops. It doesn't need to be the whole window either. Just the smallest amount of area needed for rearview mirror visibility, which would make it easier to focus/concentrate the force of the airflow.

What do others think?

4. Kappy

Kappy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses. That roof wing looks nice. How are you plannning to modify it around the washer? About what price range does that run on ebay? I really wish AVS or someone made one specifically for the vehicle... I was eyeing up the universal AVS wind deflector and the back of my prius and I am afraid it'll be too big and hit the roof when you open the lift-gate the entire way. However, your roof wing may just work. Please keep us informed of how it turns out!

5. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To get it nearer to the rear panel edge, I hollowed out a space in the trailing edge of the wing for the washer head. It could have gone forward of the washer head, but I chose Black Onyx color and wanted to minimize the red space between the wing and the window (just asthetics). The wing is made of a dense rubber compound, so it is flexible and can be worked carefully with a dremel. I roughed out a space for the washer and channel for the spray, and then used black silicon to smooth/fill. Would not suggest this for casual modder. I will post some better pics when done.
    It was $88 shipped and available painted in Prius codes. I was told by vendor that Barcelona Red was not an exact match, so went with Black Onyx which matched the rear spoiler perfectly.

6. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think this wing would repace the rear wiper. I did look around for an air foil while researching and did not see anything that would look right.

7. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I put the SILK BLAZE one on my Prius and absofreakinlutely love it!

[​IMG]

AAA likes this.
  8. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    dude, your Prius, I mean your Lexus looks sick now !!!

AAA likes this.
  9. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hey, do you happen to have a picture of all the lights lit up in the rear ?

thanks, Id love to see how it looks like :)

10. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That kit looks awesome! I suspect that wing over the window would look a bit out of place without the rest of the package though. Out of curiosity, is the exhaust modified to use any of those openings, or down and under?

11. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, the exhaust actually was. I finally took it to an exhaust place and had the exhaust cut and split to the 2 outlets....Then when I went to have my coilovers installed and my tires/wheels, I was walking around the alignment rack when it was raised and was DEVASTATED to see that the heat from the exhaust was swelling the bodykit around the outlets, and it had cracked the bodykit and caused the paint to crack into hundreds of little squares all around the passenger side one. NOT cool! So, I took it and had to have the pipe cut and aimed straight down to get the heat away from the back of the car. I don't know what the kit is made of that it would do that, but now I have to take the car back to the bodyshop and get the back repaired and repainted. Peeves me since I just got it out of there from a 7-month stay!

Yeah, regarding the wing out of place w/out the rest of the kit.... I picked the Silk Blaze and the shark fin to both specifically flow with the same lines/angles of the Kaira wing from the side. I do need to get stronger arms/lifts/whatever-they're-called to lift the hatch up and down now, cause it adds a big chunk of weight to the hatch that the stock ones kinda strain under. Neverending....

12. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah, right! lol!~ It has rained like every day since I've had my car home from the bodyshop (almost 2 months straight....maybe longer). After I discovered all the water inside my hatch the one time I drove it in the rain, I've not driven it in the rain since. I still have all my lighting, front and back and sides, to wire up...all the stereo system....a Knight Rider led strip I had made for the mail slot on the front of the car (I know, a love it or hate it kind of thing! lol)....my emblems need wired up..... My signal mirrors and folding mirrors and the blue running LED mirrors still have to be wired.... I bought a $400 button panel for my dash so that I could control all my zones of lights individually....
    WIRED HDH, HEAVY DUTY AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS, COLORADO | switchpanels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but now that I have it -- I can't figure out where in the world is an easy-to-reach location to mount it so that it's easily accessible at all times. I have blue lights (*illegal*) in all the exterior lighting, so I wanna be able to punch a button to shut them off at a moment's notice, if the situation demands, without fumbling around trying to find the panel underneath the shifting column/pass-thru or any other obscure location. The steering wheel blocks easy access to places right in front of the driver. So, I'm at a loss regarding where I'm gonna put the darn thing. If I could do these things myself, I'd have slowly been working on them while my car has been sitting in the garage the last few months, but I am completely clueless. I've gone to the auto parts stores and looked at their various wire ends and stuff like that where I could attempt sticking wires into places with direction from internet searching, but there are thousands of connectors. So, I'm stuck with paying people to do all these things. I DID get the coilovers installed and my tires/wheels. That made a world of difference. I didn't originally think it was SO horrible with the stock wheels still on it when I first got it home from the bodyshop.....but now I'm embarrassed when I see pics (like the one I posted in this thread!) with those little tiny wheels on it! lol! I agree with everyone that the lowering and the wheels/tires upgrade DEFINITELY makes a world of difference in the car! I wish it drove softer now, as it's quite jarring....kinda like back when I dropped a Vette I had....but the shop had already put all the back of the car (all the body panels, etc.) back together and I didn't feel with having them tear all that stuff apart again. I'm a strong believer that the more you take the panels in and out and in and out over and over ---- the more rattling and poorly fitting together panel issues you eventually end up with. So, I just bit the bullet and get a good shaking whenever I do drive it. I lowered it 3 1/2 inches, though, so it was bound to be a significantly rougher ride anyway.

13. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks! I just wish I had my wheels/tires on and the car dropped in this pic! I can't believe I haven't been able to get a good pic yet with the wheels on because of the incessant rain!

14. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could you install a Master Off in an easy to reach location for "emergencies" and place the panel in a less convenient space (under center console, glovebox, etc)?

15. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah, but that would shut off all the outside lighting on the car....so that would be a big drawback. The ideal spot would be right in front of me on the dash, but the steering wheel is kinda in the way, and I'd have to drill a sizable hole in a not-so-desirable location smack dab in the most conspicuous place of the dash....

16. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure I understand how it is wired up but... It looks like an intelligent panel: powered and supplies the switches individually, where a loss of power would shut off the power to the switches. I was thinking a small switch for the panel power itself. Unless you have both your DOT Approved and For Show Only lights wired into it, the cutoff should only affect the For Show Only lights. Just a thought.

17. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure even how we're going to wire stuff up.....that's a thread I've been considering starting in order to get opinions... I had my headlights, fogs, and turn signals (on the front and ones I mounted on the sides of the car) all "gutted" and custom-built by a place in Louisiana called AACStyle. The headlights have 5 different 'zones' of lighting that I will have to figure how to have wired according to which parts I would want to come on with what and when. Some parts will be tied into existing lighting, I think, and some parts (like the Audi-style driving lights on the headlights, and the angel eyes on the fogs) might just come on when there is power going to the car without the actual headlights on. I had an empty switch location on the dash (I think it's the spot for headlight washers or something like that), so I ordered the switch for it and I'm gonna run my rear fog light to it so I can easily turn it on or off when I feel like it. I just know that I want the switch panel to be close and easily reachable (without crashing just trying to reach a button) so I can flip on a specific zone of lighting, depending on the situation and/or my mood at the time. I have all the special effects on the headlights and other lights run on a remote. My emblems are each on their own remote (so I can flip off the back one if a cop is behind me, or flip off the front one if a cop is ahead of me somewhere). And, my Knight Rider LED strip has its own remote. That kinda takes care of them once they're wired....but finding the right remote for the right situation will be its own dilemma! lol! I really wish I understood all the wiring stuff so that I could do some of these things myself (like my emblems, or the Knight Rider strip, or the mirror stuff). I try to read all these really great DIY posts from other members, but it is like reading the steps for brain surgery to me. Oh, I also have a laptop mounted between the passenger seat and the dash, which prevents me from accessing the glove boxes from the drivers seat. I have to get out and go around to the passenger side, loosen the different parts on the laptop mount, then swing it out of the way before I can ever get anything out of the glovebox. I had forgotten about that totally until just now. That really throws a wrench into the glovebox switch possibility!

18. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found my post I made a long time back where I had posted a bunch of the hatch visors I had found at the time:

Well, I happened to run across a WHOLE PILE of rear hatch visor/spoilers last night that I'm trying to decide on....

at this link:

Aero Parts / Tuning Performance Auto Parts Online Shop - Auto-Style USA - Japan Car Parts JDM Parts[]=11D3&limit_genre[]=143&car_url=30prius

My favorites out of those:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Silk Blaze) silkblaze.com

[​IMG]
    (Terra Force)

[​IMG]
    (Divine)

[​IMG]
    (ECONOLINE)

[​IMG]
    (Garage Vary)

[​IMG]

(Rojam)

There's TONS of cool stuff in the links on the right side of the page. Everything imaginable.....except a hood bonnet like the Ikki one:

[​IMG]

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/help-with-hatch-visor-spoiler-and-hood-bonnet-spoiler.97410/#ixzz24NrnwRdr

19. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i like the divine spoiler, where can we get that ?

20. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ucsmfu likes this.