1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Window Wiper Arc Range Problem - 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GreyXenon, May 12, 2017.

1. GreyXenon

GreyXenon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all -

Recently bought a used 2013 Prius after going without a car for a decade (lots to learn now), and now have noticed that the rear wiper blade's arc extends all the way past the window and even slightly off the edge of the trunk ridge. I didn't notice this while using it while driving during a rainy day, until I heard the noise it was making - knocking a bit when hitting the edge of the trunk ridge. It also unfortunately left some scratch marks along its arc range on the paint finish past the edge of the window.

Has anyone else had this problem? What should I do to fix this?

Also - I am probably going to replace the wiper blades and fluid. Looks like there are tons of aftermarket offerings out there - any suggestions for blades/fluid?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd guess it's been taken off and put back on shifted over on the locating "teeth".

I'd go with the Toyota wipers for replacement, just the actual rubber blades. I suppose any wiper fluid would work, I would suggest to use freeze-protected (winter) fluid year 'round. I like the Toyota fluid, maybe just chauvinism, but hey: it's pink, like their coolant. :)

FWIW, I've yet to replace the blades on our 2010, they seem fine at 67K km's. The car's garage stored though, could be day-after-day UV light's harder on them.

Attached Files:

GreyXenon likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You know you can pop up the plastic cover over the hinge point. Then you can put a socket on it (10mm), remove arm and shift over a tooth or two. Always be very careful if there's a possibility of the arm snapping down and cracking the glass, btw.

IMG_6841.JPG

#3 Mendel Leisk, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    GreyXenon likes this.
  4. GreyXenon

GreyXenon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the info!

Mendel Leisk likes this.