1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Window

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by The Electric Me, Nov 30, 2016.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a weird observation I thought I would share.
    As some of you might know...and many more of you not know or care.....I recently traded in my Toyota Prius for a Honda Fit.
    When I did so...one of the things I thought I would like about The Fit better was the rear hatch window. I was looking forward to getting away from The Prius horizontal rear window...with the divider.
    You know what I've discovered?

I kind of miss The Prius rear window.

Where I live it rains a lot. And what I didn't appreciate was that the horizontal nature of The Prius rear window actually kept it clean a lot longer.
    The "regular" vertical rear window of The Honda Fit...seems to pick up everything being kicked up behind the vehicle, so it very quickly goes from clean to dirty. While The Prius window, being so much more horizontal...actually would blow the rain and much of the dirt off the window as I drove. The small window below it would get dirty...but the big window above...stayed pretty clean.

Just offering this observation...if you ever feel like complaining about the Prius's horizontal/split rear window. It's not as bad as you think...in fact? It has it's advantages.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't like the view out the rear, but i see what you mean. while the upper window is usually pretty clean, the lower widow and body above the bumper are always filthy.

i wonder if the v window gets dirtier.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that seems to be a criteria for rear wipers: the more vertical the glass (and hatches typically are the worst), the more you'll see wipers.

4. Straykat

Straykat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five

5. Straykat

Straykat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For me, the rear split window is THE ONE thing I absolutely do not care for at all. Visibility is limited because of the bar across the back window. I absolutely love my 2014 Prius, but it bothers me so much that I may not purchase another Prius when it’s time to replace mine. It’s a safety issue for me not having a full view on the rear window. No car manufacturer would split a front windshield thereby hindering driver visibility, so what made Toyota think putting a split windshield on the rear window wouldn’t also limit visibility?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they couldn't figure out how to curve the glass, or it was too expensive

Straykat likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The split rear window has been around longer than the Prius. The Pontiac Aztek had one, and Honda CR-V did long before that. I'm sure there are other examples in automobile history.

The Prius' rear window probably gives more visibility out the back than a sedan's. Where that little back window is blocked by the trunk. the split window allows clean air flow off the rear while maintaining more rear view.

I liked it because the divide was at the right spot to block following cars headlights from my rearview mirror.

Cost is my guess, plus distortion, but why bother with one piece when you are going to put a spoiler there for aerodynamics?

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good question, is the spoiler in the line of vision?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The times when I hate it are when it just sits in the exact right spot to block the following car's headlights from falling on the mirror-darkening photocell of my rearview mirror....

Straykat and jerrymildred like this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't aftermarket, so likely not. It would if the glass was one piece.

Never had auto dimming. With some cars and drivers, their headlights light up the entire interior, and the split helps with that.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the one giant fly in the ointment with the auto-dimming mirror in the Prius.

I have had drivers follow me for 20 miles just at the one precise distance where the spoiler shadow is keeping the light off the photocell, but the whole full-power undimmed beam is drilling into my eyeballs.

I remember reading that somebody dealt with it by spinning the mirror around so the edge with the photocell was the top. Then the following car would really have to be tailgating for the same problem to arise.

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2005 Prius had the automatic mirror dimmer. I HATED that thing for that very reason. Even aside from the back window divider interfering with it, I'll decide if and when my mirror needs dimming, thank you very much. If the car makes a mistake, there's no way to over ride it.

As for the safety concerns of the divider, I can't imagine what kind of hazard could be hidden by that narrow horizontal band. If you're going to be concerned about vision blockage, how about those massive A pillars that you have to look around while driving around a left hand curve?

Trollbait likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had to spin the rearview mirror upside down in the 2005. It was manual, so not because of the autodimming, but because Toyota doesn't design car interiors for my body and preferred seating position.

The A pillar of that Prius could actually hide entire cars from view at some intersections.

jerrymildred likes this.