1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Wiper replacement alternatives?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2bad, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 2bad

2bad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2010 Prius I. The end on the hatch wiper arm is a millimeter or two too wide to fit into any replacement wipers I can find and I'm not even sure they come with adapters for that design. I have bought factory replacement wiper rubber but I'm not that impressed. The design of the wiper doesn't really seem to keep enough pressure or even pressure across the length of the wiper blade - hence, not a very good or clear wipe.

What's the solution? Are there aftermarket wiper arms that accommodate industry-standard wipers? Or, do you know of any brands of wipers other than factory that will fit the original wiper arm?

Thanks.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried amazon.com? I've bought at least a couple of sets both front and rear from them in the past four years! Good luck!

Edit: Here's a tip: look for Rain-X "Latitude" (The best wiper-blades (IMNSHO) you'll find!)

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The same rear wiper is used by several manufacturers on many models. "Wiping clean" is not a priority on a rear window, so they tend to not do that.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    walmart has them

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Trico lists 16-A. If you measure carefully and 17-A exists, (I'm afraid I haven't checked), you may be able to fit that.

6. Monarch98

Monarch98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yeah, I'm having troubles finding anything. I got some of those Goodyear Hybrid blades that Costco sells... Only the front wipers can mount properly, otherwise the rear wiper doesn't have the right adaptor and it's really annoying. From my experience, the rubber on Toyota's OEM wiper blades just tears easily, so after only 40k miles (and seldom being used, maybe used like 20 days total since 2015), the wiper blades are falling apart.

I'm guessing Toyota designed the rear wiper to have that stupid adapter to force you to buy OEM blades at a much higher cost. I'm used to that bulls**t though, given I'm coming from growing up around Mercedes-Benz and BMWs (you guys would absolutely hate how they have special tools for so many things... And TWO drain plugs for changing the engine oil? Who the hell thought that was necessary?).

I'm hoping to find some Michelin wiper blades that fit (I really like Michelin, I've stuck with their tires and blades for all my life). I'll keep you guys posted.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is all this ultimately saving any money? A lot?

I know, once we get the bit in our teeth...

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you come from Mercedes dealer pricing, the local type, not the online discounted type, you tend to become seriously PARANOID about going to the dealer for parts....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I bought 3 from an EBAY auction and cancelled the order after they did not ship in a months time. Got my refund and bought 3 Trico Exact Fit wipers really cheap from Rock Auto. About 2 weeks after that my original order of 3 showed up. both brands look and fit just like the original. They are complete blades and not just the refill.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From an ecological point of view, just replacing the rubbers bits, and just when warranted, makes more sense to me.

12. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I dont have an ecological point of view but I do buy my gas just when the tank is very near empty. :LOL:

Mike Wilson and Mendel Leisk like this.