1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Household drill will work, here is what I did with mine... You can buy the drill at Homedepot.

Attached Files:

2. fisul

fisul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Q Can anyone help with the final bit of this install?

Background: I bought the American Security/Echomaster Kit that said it was for 2013 Prius C with Navigation:

My installer got the backup camera in fine, the wiring done, but says he cannot see how to wire the back of the head unit for the trigger. There is a piece of paper that came with the instructions that says:
    "On some model 2013 model year Toyata's reverse trigger is not present at radio. You must add a pin to the 28 pin plug located next to the 16 pin plug provided by Echomaster; use pin #2 etc"

My installer says the picture on the paper does not correspond to anything on the head unit (2013 Prius C Four with NAV) so does not know what to do. He seems to have the power connected OK. It is the trigger that he cannot see what to do.

Does anyone have a picture of the connections for a Prius C Four Nav for this Echomaster kit, that shows exactly where to connect the trigger? I may have to get a rear view mirror hookup if I can't get this figured out and would rather not. Thanks for any advice/suggestions/pictures you can supply

Norman

Attached Files:

3. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a pic of the back of an PC3/4 Nav radio
    IMG_0038.JPG

As you can see the pin#2 on the 28 white pin plug is the reverse signal (green one), If you have it, a "t" tap is the option I think, if you don't have it, a pololu crimp pin (Pololu - JR Connector Pack, Female) is need it to connect the cable to insert on pin #2.

I hope this helps, and thanks for sharing this, BTW where does the other cable connected to?? it seems to have 2 cables right???

4. fisul

fisul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks so much. That makes sense. The problem is my installer insists (been back twice) there is no 28 pin white anywhere. It seems like the very late 2013 prius c nav I got may have a newer head unit or something. This is very perplexing. I haven't seen the view myself so have to go on what he is saying

5. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My mistake, In the photo I provide the 28 pin plug is below the blue plug and left of the antenna, I revised it, just in case. And It doesn't have any wire on Pin # 2, so you go with the Pololu option.

$T2eC16dHJGkE9no8iPbBBQ-C9BROhQ~~60_3.jpg

Do us a favor, when complete connection, can you post photos of there the 2 cables is connected for the good of everyone.

Thanks.

6. PRIUSrays

PRIUSrays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I know this is kinda a dead thread but it really saved my bacon.I used a combination of information from here for my install. Mik1's write up, Ranking's discovery of using the yellow wire and reversing the diode on the 12v leg got my camera up and running without incident.Thanks to everyone in this thread that helped make it possible to do this.I really appreciate everyones input that was within this thread.:)

Rainking and ChinchillaGirl like this.
  7. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just following up: 7 months since my install and still works good! So glad I did this.

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    how do i remove the black cover on the tail gate? mainly how do i remove the damn "screws"

9. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    have you tried needle nose pliers? or a flat head?

10. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i just tried to pull the liner and thought they would pop out. i need to pull them with a needle nose?

11. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  12. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    thanks. i dont have the time to get them right now but i will in the future. so basically these pop out right? i dont want to try to pop them out and it breaks.

13. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Correct. And they pop back right in.

14. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    im going to give it a try right now. i tried earlier and i had no luck getting them out.

15. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yea, don't be scared to break them. They will pop out.

16. PRIUSrays

PRIUSrays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I popped mine out 3x. They are stronger than you think. If you use a screwdriver just shove it in one of the 2 indented sides of the head and pull or pry. It has little ribbed tines that are plyable that hold it in

17. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    yeah i took them out. they are pretty strong. heres what i installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. PRIUSrays

PRIUSrays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nice job!! I think its crazy Toyota can charge like $600 for a camera setup but some of us have done it for under $20.Thanks to the good folks here at priuschat.I'm so glad I found these forums.

19. HotDogWater

HotDogWater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just to add my info to the mix - I installed this camera in my C over the weekend:
    Toyota Display Audio/Entune Backup Camera Kit - Camry, Corolla, Prius, | Backup Camera System Truck Backup Cameras LCD Mirror LCD Monitor Gentex

Looks like it's out of stock now but it cost about $150.

As far as installation goes, I used a combination of Mik1's Guide and the install video on their site.

I routed the wiring through the floor as in Mik1's guide detailed, the biggest difference being I didn't remove the trim deck side assembly (page 9). Instead I popped the cover off the strut tower opening and used a hangar to pull the wire through. From there it was easy to pull it down and then around and up to the roof. I think this way is easier than taking off the whole panel.

Just like most people, routing the wires was most of the work. The actual hookups to the radio took a max of 20 mins (including removing/replacing the radio). The rest was a few hours.

Here's the stuff that came in the kit (the instructions weren't really too helpful):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. RyanFX

RyanFX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone - first post!

I just bought a new Prius C3 2013 and this is going to be the first mod I tackle.

I was hoping to get some people's opinions over this before I start hacking away at the car

Some of you have had more luck than others regarding powering your camera off of the 6 volts that the HU supplies. I made a quick circuit to power the camera off of the 12v switched yellow wire, triggered off of the 6v signal.

Here's the circuit - thoughts? I think it will alleviate all issues most of you have with needing to put the car in reverse once the car starts, or the camera intermittently working.

I can't post a link, so fix the following:

Type in partsim dooot com slash simulator slash pound 13912

Ultima Gaina likes this.