Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I upgraded my 2012 Prius C-2's radio to the 2013 Prius C-3's nav radio. I bought the EchoMaster FC-Toyo as per your suggestion, but can't seem to get it to pick up the camera signal.

I took a look at the instruction manual here:
    https://echomaster.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=862

It looks like I need to tap into ACC/IGN +12V for the camera. Do you recall where you tapped for 12V power? Did you have to follow the second page to include the reverse trigger pin?

2. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Alright more updates to my saga of trying to add a backup camera to the C3 head unit in my 2012 C2. I paid a shop to pull ACC/IGN +12V (and ground) to power the EchoMaster FC-Toyo camera, and they also hooked up +12V reverse signal to Pin #2 on the 28 pin plug. Unfortunately, no luck on getting the head unit to recognize the radio.

I followed the steps listed on this installation guide to wire up the backup camera to the radio (with the exception of ACC/IGN +12V and Ground for the camera coming from the locations installed by the stereo shop, and I used a 1-Watt resistor instead of a 1/4-Watt resistor for the 470 Ohm resistor):
    RyanFX's Blog: 2013 Prius C Factory Rear View Backup Camera Installation

Suggestion to anyone else trying this down the road: save yourself the hassle and make sure to buy a 6 Volt camera kit (PYvideo) instead of going with a 12 Volt camera kit (like the EchoMaster FC-Toyo), since it should be more straightforward to hook up (I think you can connect the 6-Volt ones directly to the radio, whereas the 12-Volt ones you need to find +12V to power it yourself).

The camera does indeed work, since I ran an extension cable to a TV and tested it that way.

I did notice when I got into the Vehicle Signal Check Mode (hold the Car button on the radio down while flashing the lights on-off three times) that the IG, PKB, and REV were all listed as "OFF" whereas in my Prius Plug-in they are all listed as "ON" when I'm in reverse with the parking brake up (plus the ADIM/TCAN shows as "DIM" whereas on my Prius Plug-in they show as "BRIGHT"). On the PriusC the camera settings are grayed out (but the Prius Plug-in doesn't have camera settings), which I assume has to do with the other information not coming in first. I do verify that the head unit is outputting +6V on G79-7 for the first minute (trying to "find" the backup camera, but it fails to do so even though the camera does get power that first minute). I got this information from Mik1's guide:
    Rearview Camera | Page 6 | PriusChat

I assume I need to follow the steps from wmo168 listed here (although a lot of the pictures were removed) in order to get the radio to talk to the car before it decides to accept the backup camera signal:
    Wiring Diagram for Factory Nav Radio - looking for wires that feed(Energy Consumption and Trip info) | Page 2 | PriusChat

I think my next steps are to buy a subscription to the Toyota Technical Information System (TIS) to compare the wire diagrams between a C2 and a C3/C4 to figure out what I'm missing (basically following wmo168's instructions with more detail).

Unfortunately wmo168 has not been active here in a long time, but if there is anyone else that has successfully connected a backup camera to a 2012-2014 Prius C2 with a radio from a C3/C4 and can help me out, I would really appreciate any information that might help me wrap up this project.

Attached Files: