1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, it might not be visible on my dark gray color. I also took the cover of my trunk from inside, and it is definatelly not prewired, so it will be a challenge to pull the wires in case if it will be possible to connect the camera to HU.

2. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow pulling out the whole interior to wire it down like Ausi cars will be more then I want to take on unfortunately.

3. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not that difficult. Your looking at 4 screws and a few floor panels.

4. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Vinny any updates?

5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think that it will be too difficult to pull the wires either. It will take some time, bit of a challange in order to make it looking nice but it is doable IMO. As long as the camera works I am happy to do it. Mine should be in my mail box in a day or two.

6. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got the pins in the mail today. I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow to retry the wiring.

7. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've found some in store, in Altex, hope they will fit.
    D-Sub Female Crimp Pins : CP20S

8. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well... I've got my camera today... The first disappointment for today is that the pins I have didn't make any good for me. I desperately need to find something better. However, the good news is that I installed the camera and pulled all the wires down to the HU. It is not as complicated as it seems, and it took about 2 hours to complete. Once I'll find new pins it will take 5-10 minutes to complete. I connected my camera's power to the reverse lights, since the power connectors were probably a foot or foot and a half long. I am happy with the progress so far. I know I probably shouldn't put everything together until I will be positive that everything is ok; however, I just had a huge desire to do something today.

Attached Files:

managerman likes this.
  9. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks great. I am not sure if the reverse light wires will work because I noticed that in the camry (and prius) it gives a 12v charge for about 3 minutes when the car starts. Im assuming this is to check for a reverse camera.

But who knows.

10. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    when I did the backup camera with the home link mirror install, i used got the power from the reverse lights and it is working just fine.

11. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Vinny, did you try the camera wiring yet to the headunit with the new pins?

12. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So far looks great, and what about the license light, works great? affect in something?

13. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well... I found a perfect set of the exact crimp pins from the old desktop computer. They perfectly fit into HU connector... but I guess the luck is not on my side... yet. Originally I put two crimp pins, one into terminal 8 (video in) and another into 16 (video ground) of my connector with the power from the reverse light - didn't work out for me. I disconnected the power from the reverse lights and added two more crimp pins into terminals 7 (+12V) and 15 (ground) didn't worked out either. Tried to measure the voltage on the terminal pins ## 7 and 15 didn't see required 12V. Sucks... but so far my camera project is on hold until further investigation.

14. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't put the bulb in since I was still testing; however even with one bulb the plate is bright and visible. Didn't notice any priblem driving with one bulb out last night.

15. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you feed the head unit with a reverse signal? I noticed on the priusV (camera is standard equipment) has a 12 volt reverse signal input to switch it to the rear camera mode.

On toyotas TIS the base wiring diagram also show the base 2012 prius liftback with a camera and 12v reverse input even though a reverse camera isnt shipped in the prius 2.

16. AlpacaFarmer87

AlpacaFarmer87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The dealer has backup camera options but they are installed not through the nav system but through the rearview mirror. Unfortunately they cost around 1k with installation and everything :/

17. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There was one purple wire in terminal #3 and I thought that this wire might be the reverse signal input, but I did not put a separate wire. Any help with wiring diagram or picture of your connector L154 will be highly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• IMG_1.jpg
      IMG_1.jpg
      File size:
      156 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      217.9 KB
      Views:
  18. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yikes, that's expensive. I hope we can figure something out with our OEM head units.

19. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Guys... it is finally happened, I was able to get a picture on my HU in reverse position. Here is the picture of the first result. I just made it happened, and I didn't put everything back together yet. Just wanted to share a good news with everyone. Let me finish all this stuff and I will make a full description, how and where to connect.

Attached Files:

managerman likes this.
  20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still, there doesn't seem to be the actual video input from the camera in that screenshot.

Just curious why all the trouble and expense to get a backup camera working in the c? My wife and I don't ever use the backup camera in our hatchback. We like the dealer installed ultrasonic backup sensor better because of the audible distance alert.