1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    At that point the camera was still hanging on wires so it doesn't seems that it was showing the right picture. I don't have an ultrasonic backup sensors on my C either, so to get a back up camera done was much easier and cheaper to do, at least for me. The price of the cheapest aftermarket camera and backup sensors is pretty much the same, around $30, but I really didn't want to drill 4-6 holes in my bumper in order to install the ultrasonic sensors.

2. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool! So what was the trick?

3. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Quickly the trick is that it was a mistake to look at C's connector as at Camry's connector - it is completely opposite, or mirrored to be exact. The correct location of pins in C' terminal is attached here. The rest is the same, Pin 7 is +12V, pin 15 ground, pin 8 Video in (+) and pin 16 is Video ground on connector G79

I've additionally ordered new pins from here: Pololu - JR Connector Pack, Female
    they were perfect match with super fast delivery

Attached Files:

4. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    There is only one 16 pin connector though. I'm confused. Do u have a pic?

5. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is great news! Can't wait for the detailed write up. I need a good weekend project!

-M

6. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So guys, here is my write up. I was trying to be as much detailed as possible. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them as soon as I can.

Daniel_K, managerman and cdinh24 like this.
  7. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Great write up! Im going to attempt this today or tomorrow. Thanks!

8. cdinh24

cdinh24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Mik1, Did you have to connect a reverse signal in order for the camera to switch on? Thanks, Wrabbit.

9. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nope, everything works perfect with the HU terminals. No additional wires whatsoever. Just the wires from aftermarket camera and pin terminals in the head unit.

10. cdinh24

cdinh24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Strange! I had to connect to the reverse lights in order for mine to work. Here's my take:
    Output.jpg

Wrabbit.

11. cdinh24

cdinh24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wonder..what does your G78 connector look like?

By the way, nice write up! Wrabbit.

12. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Well got mine to work, but I have a crappy camera that seems to show everything in black and white. Off to buy a better one.

13. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wrabbit, I was connecting my video to connector G79 (the black one in my picture). G78 is a 28 pins white connector and I think it is mainly for microphone, steering wheel control buttons etc... Is your camera connected to connector G78?
    Your picture looks really sharp. Which camera did you buy?

14. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's great Vinny. Wrabbit's picture looks great, may be you can get a link from him?

15. hur00003

hur00003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    This is great news! I loved the write up. very easy to understand. Now that i know it's possible, i need to find a backup camera. I like Wrabbit's, as it seems very sharp and clear, but i would like the lines to point out how far away i am from an object. Does anyone have any suggestions?

16. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can you provide the final video shown in the HU? A video will be better than pics. Thanks. And great job doing this mod.

17. cdinh24

cdinh24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My camera also connects to the black G79 connector. But I also had to add the reverse signal to pin 2 of the G78 connector. The reason I ask about yours is because you have a C4, I have a C3 and in pin 2, the slot is empty.

I purchased a 2005-2012 Tacoma backup camera from:
    Toyota Tacoma OEM Backup Tailgate Camera 2005-2012 | eBay

Toyota uses a ccd type camera with backlighting; it's key to clarity. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

Camera.jpg

Hope that helps.

It's such a quinkidink that you wrote up on the same night that I spent on my backup camera. My friend thought that I should help our PC community by capturing pics and I did. But thank goodness for your write up; that's an enormous help for many of us. Wrabbit.

18. cdinh24

cdinh24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased the last gen backup camera from Toyota (indirectly). The latest Toyota cameras have guidelines from 1-15 ft. I am used to the last gen camera; on screen, the view of the car's body is equivalent to ~3ft.

19. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What mod do you did to replace the license plate with the backup camera?

20. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well guys, I found out one problem today. When I was doing my camera last night I was in the garage and that is why the picture on the screen looked good. Today duiring the day I found out that the picture was not clear at all, and it looked like black and white. I went back home, checked the voltage and it seems that HU is giving between 5.5 and 6.5 volts on terminals 7 and 15. My aftermarket camera is rated for 12 volts, so it seems that the HU does't give enough power to the aftermarket camera. I took the power wires off the HU and connected them directly to reverse lights, and after that the picture was nice and clear. I made a video of the picture today, so now I just need to upload it to somewhere, so you can see.