1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the link to my video

As I mentioned earlier now my camera is powered by a reverse light, since it seems that the HU doesn't give enough juce for aftermarket camera. Wrabbit, please add if I missed something.

2. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the camera on ebay, and it was saying that it should be ok for prius (liftback). It is pretty difficult to find something for PC right now. So I got the camera, and it fit into the license plate light opening; however, the trunk in that area is a little bit curved and the camera couldn't fit directly into the hole. I had to cut some plastic parts on my camera in order to make it fit. It is not absolutely perfect, but it works for now. I might find something better later.

3. JLee81

JLee81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Given the ridiculous amount of rearview cameras available, none specifically for the C, could anyone that has bought one and liked the video/build quality please post the link and/or brand/model numbers. Thanks.

SGH-T989 ? 2

4. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to use the reverse light as well. The only issue is that if you don't shift into reverse immediately after the car stars you will not be able I see the backup camera feed. The head unit checks for the backup camera during its boot up.

5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I've noticed that too, sometimes later. But I am still trying to figure out whether this is a disadvantage from the reverse light feed, or it is just the way it is and the OEM camera's is going to work the same way? Any ideas?

6. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    With the power coming rom the head unit it can be turned to reverse anytime. My idea is to also connect the HU power to the camera along with the reverse light power, but put a diode on the reverse light power to keep the current running to the camera and not from the HU to the bulb.

7. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The head unit gives the camera a little bit of power right as its starting up to check for the camera feed.

8. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The other option would be to connect it to a constant 12v power source like a cigarette lighter. The only issue then would be that the camera is on all the time, but the head unit would only show the feed when in reverse.

9. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was thinking about diode bridge too. Do you think it will work? Cause if I am not mistaken when the camera was commected to 6.5V power source at my HU I could see the picture in reverse any time.

Willco Electronics likes this.
  10. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Vinny, forgot to mention. I don't know if you saw it with your camera, but when I was playing with mine yesterday, I figured out that if right after the start I will put in reverse position for a second and then to drive position, after that I can see the picture in reverse any time later. Doesn't matter how long I'll drive it is still going to work. The trick is just to put in reverse for a second or two right before you'll take off.

11. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep I noticed that as well.

12. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it will work. I just bought some diodes. I'm going to try it later today or tomorrow. I'll let you know.

13. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so the diode worked. It's simple. You have to run pos/neg wire from the head unit power back to the camera. You also have to run the pos/neg from the reverse bulb to the camera but simply use a diode on the positive wire coming from the reverse light.

The reason is because if you just try to hook up both power sources to the camera the reverse bulb will take all the current coming from the head unit during the boot up process and the HU will not recognize the camera.

Mik1 likes this.
  14. pwsharpe

pwsharpe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Has anyone tried to locate the part number for the Australian Prius c OEM camera? It may eliminate the need to install diodes...

15. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's a great news, I will definitely try it in a day or two. What type of diode did you use? I need to get some anyway, since I don't have any.

16. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It will most probably eliminate the need, but the OEM camera will be something like $630 for online order and around $800 MSRP. At least that's how much toyota dealer wants for the Prius liftback's camera here in TX.

17. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to look at the package when I get home. They are rate for higher than 12 volts and 120 amps I think. Let me double check. If you could add all the part numbers and what not to your website that would be awesome. Btw I got a license plate camera. Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera:Amazon:Car Electronics

18. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    When I said "website: I meant "write up". Im not sure how I did that....

Also the diode is rated for 200V and 1 Amp.

Question. Are you guys soldering, using crimps, graphite glue, etc?

19. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, I was a bit confused when I saw a "website" o_O . I was planning to modify my write up once all the bugs will be eliminated. I am planning to do it sometimes during this week. I will definitely include our findings about HU to camera power issues etc. So far, I was using the crimp pins as much as I could, but I was thinking to do some soldering with diode installation.

20. vinny1575

vinny1575 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. Its awesome that people will finally e able to get reverse cameras on there C. The blind spot was a bit ridiculous.