1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mattebury, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Charlie_P

Charlie_P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

2. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have feedback on which camera works/fits well with the Prius C?

3. Charlie_P

Charlie_P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Got it Thanks

4. BooShine

BooShine Wishful Thinker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This has been an excellent post to follow- what a wonderful spirit of innovation in this forum! I was spoiled by the backup camera in my 2010 Prius- and convinced myself that I didn't need it in the smaller Prius C. I'd really like one. I'm eager to follow the write-ups, but not much of a mechanic. If anyone in the Bay Area is interested in adding a backup camera to their Prius C- it may be fun to attempt the install together.

If you're in the Bay Are and have already installed yours- I'd welcome some support asI attempt mine. There could be lunch in it for you....

5. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mik

I bought the same camera you bought. Can you give me some hints on how to install it? Having some difficulty. A few other questions....

Does it snap in like the backup light assembly?

How did you get the light to work in conjunction with the camera?

Thanks

-M

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344695558.306670.jpg

6. ianblake

ianblake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    first attempt here fail ... :( wont power up .... only works if connected directly to 12v w/out the diodes

7. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi managerman. I unscrewed this plastic cover from inside (you will see 4 or 5 bolts there) and then I placed the camera underneath and made it seat tight by tightening bolts on plastic cover. It does not snap in like backup light assembly since it is a little bit too big even thought it was saying on ebay that this camera is for prius. That is the reason why I didn't give a recommendation in my write-up on this camera, since I was not absolutely happy with how it fits. If you want to make the light works you need to put the bulb, since it is not coming with the camera. I didn't do it, and I actually want to replace it with the better fit later. Sorry about that.

8. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You need to make sure that diodes are placed correctly, since they let the electricity flow in one direction only, kind of check valve.

9. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info. It worked just as you described.. One more question. Where did you tap the back up light power?

-m

10. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    i did it with the left light assembly. you will see the connector behind the black plastic cover at the bottom corner. the reverse light 12V+ is red wire with the black stripe (or dark green) if i am not mistaken.

11. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok. It seems that the 12v from the backup light is not making it through the diode to the camera...only the 6v from head unit. I'm almost there...any thoughts? If I hook 12v directly..no issue except only turns on at instant you turn on car.

-M

12. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The only time I had such problem is when I had my camera connected to reverse light only. You need to make sure that you have power coming from both the HU as well as reverse light. To reverse light connector you just need to connect a positive (12V+) wire from the camera, the negative wire shall be grounded and not be connected to the negative wire in that connector assembly.

13. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok. Finally working. Thanks for all your help mik!!! For some reason I had to reverse the polarity (from your diagram) on the diode coming from the reverse light. Did that and bam!!! I will post some detailed pics in a new post in this thread. Thanks again!!!

-M

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344804945.089000.jpg

14. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Great!!! Very happy for your success!

15. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have put a PDF together with pictures from my install...I think with Mik's great instructions this job is very doable. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again to Mik and also Vinny for all their help in discovering the method to do this.

-M

Prius C Backup Camera Install

Rainking and ftl like this.
  16. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

nice! with every manual that gets posted, I get more and more confident that I'll be able to do this. I've really wanted a backup camera and not having one was almost a deal breaker for the Prius C.

Hopefully soon, I'll get the needed confidence to attempt the procedure!

17. hur00003

hur00003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III

I think that the Diode in the diagram is backwards... I installed my camera on Saturday, followed the diagram exactly, and realized that it was backwards...

Has anyone else experienced this?

18. hur00003

hur00003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III

I had to reverse the polarity as well. Worked like a charm!

19. hur00003

hur00003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Finally got around to installing my Backup camera this weekend. I had a friend help me, because i wasn't comfortable ripping apart my brand new car. As for installation, very easy to do. learned a few things along the way, I bought the same camera as Managerman and Mik, and I took the back off completely. I then attached it to a peice of wood, and that was how i was able to secure it to the back of my Prius C. (I sandwiched the opening with the wood and camera)

I also noticed that sometimes my camera blacks out. I can still see the grid lines, but there is no picture. I'm assuming that it's radio interference and I plan on insulating the wires in the headunit this weekend.

Has anyone else noticed that problem?

Other than the hiccups here and there (reversed polarity of the diodes) the install only took about 3 hours (longest part was feeding the wires through the rubber tube in the hatch door).

Thank you for all of your support in the forum! I feel much better now that I have this camera.

20. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When this happens the camera is not getting 12V...only the 6.5V from the HU...I only switched the polarity on the diode coming from the 12V backup up light...left the other as Mik has shown it....maybe that will solve the issue?

-M