1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview mirror upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cobraz, Jun 24, 2008.

1. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there's no reason not to install one, unless you normally jury-rig any install. Just follow the VFAQ linked above from my site, installing it as the dealerships are supposed to, and you'll be fine. While the install is much more involved than tucking a wire out of sight, it makes sure the wire won't interfere with the side airbag, and makes it look factory. And it really doesn't take that long, even if you follow every single step I noted.

2. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just had the Gentex mirror installed at the dealership - night dimming, home link, compass, was $350. Also have a Package 2 Touring. The dealership originally told me it was about an hour job. Was there for about two hours. They said it required some extra wiring they werent aware of. Im not technical nor handy, so I was happy to pay the money, and have it done. Had the same mirror in my 07 Tundra Crew Max and loved it. There is a temperature display in my Touring. Not sure if that is standard in both versions or not. The mirror is worth it. Best Wishes

3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a question for the masses:

I have a Gentex mirror I installed on a vehicle I no longer own (took the mirror back out before I let the car go). This is their top of the line mirror. It has the usual autodom and compass, but also has external temperature, map lights that come on when you open the doors or manual, and a circuit that turns off the autodim when you put the car in reverse.

Here's the questions posed for anyone who has the answer available or can look it up for me:
    1. Can someone identify the wires that lead to the driver's door switch - the switch that turns on the dome light when you open the door, and
    2. Can someone identify the wire powers the backup light when you put the car in reverse?

YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

4. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    K-Mart sells a small compass that fits on your existing mirror for around $30 in the automotive department.

5. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The problem with that compass is that it is NOT on all the time. The built in compasses are always on. Also, they are usually not illuminated so night use is kind of a problem.

6. adamlau

adamlau New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Went with a 270mm Napolex Broadway Type-A (Convex) 2X. 300mm inhibited peripheral vision, the H.I.D model was too dark, the FLABEG model was darker still.